Application/Residency

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Application/Residency

Postby Jojo1700 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:06 am

So, I've applied to allopathic programs the last two years and have been rejected. I would like to apply to some of the DO schools but don't know if it will limit my options for residency in the future. And does anyone know a rough range of science GPA and MCAT score that would be considered competative?
Thank you.
Jojo1700

Re: Application/Residency

Postby OlufunshoBY » Tue May 19, 2009 3:02 pm

NO, applying to a DO school will not limit your option. What are u interested in?

Average GPA :3.4ish, MCAT: atleast 27.
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby tramflap » Sun May 24, 2009 4:44 pm

I'm a DO student, and am interested in Plastic and reconstructive surgery. Super competitive residencies are hard to get, DO or MD. As an osteopathic student, you have the option of applying to both AOA and ACGME residencies. There are some AMAZING AOA residencies, and only DO students can apply for them. I am working hard (and doing well) in school, and thus plastics is an option for me.

The only thing that will limit you is yourself. If you are in the bottom half of your class, then the super competitive residencies will likely not be open to you, DO or MD.

As far as grades, there are matriculants with scores on either side of the averages. Do yourself a favor and apply broadly. If you chicken out (like I originally did) and don't apply, you will never know. Give it a shot!
tramflap
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby CaribMD » Sat May 30, 2009 6:38 pm

pretty much what I say too! DO=MD MD= DO same thing really!

But must MS III and MS IV know this!
CaribMD
The One
The One

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)