AACOM gpa calculation?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

AACOM gpa calculation?

Postby alwhitti » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:57 am

Hi I'm new to the forum so I hope to get some great advice. I know that MD schools calculate gpa based on all of the classes taken regardless if you retaken a class you did poorly in. The news I'm hoping to hear is that AACOM will actually replace the course that was retaken in place of the lower grade. Another question I have is whether AACOM includes classes that do not go towards your undergrad degree when determining gpa. My pre med adviser on campus told me that allopathic schools don't include those classes that don't count toward your degree so I was wondering if osteopathic did the same? I have a mediocre gpa (3.2) but would like to retake a few science classes that I received C's in to raise my BCPM. Would it be a good investment to take a year and retake these classes while preparing for the MCAT? After this semester it looks that I will be coming out with all A's , possibly one B so the 3.2 should go up slightly.
On the other hand, would it be better to take some upper level math and science grad classes instead? Overall I have an upward trend with my basic (gen chem, org,) classes with a few C's but all A's and B's on my upper level science classes. I just want to make sure that retaking these classes will be worth the time compared to taking grad classes. I would really prefer advice from those who have been through the admissions process or have other experience with it to reply. Advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
alwhitti

Re: AACOM gpa calculation?

Postby dangit » Fri May 08, 2009 3:26 am

Yes, you are correct. AACOMAS will replace any repeated classes you have. AMCAS, on the other hand will average the two grades from repeated classes. AACOMAS will replace the lower grade with the higher grade.

AACOMAS includes all classes you have taken from any college/university. Even if you took classes from a community college during high school, those grades will count towards your gpa. Now, certain classes will count towards your science GPA, while every class you take will count towards your overall GPA. This is acutally the same for allopathic schools. I'm not sure why your advisor said this. The only difference between MD and DO applications is that MD count certain classes as science classes, while DO classes don't (ie psychology... i forget the rest, but as you apply, the AACOMAS application will list what counts and what doesn't count towards science GPA)

It's really up to you to retake classes with C's. It's generally recommended to take retake classes if you get a C- and lower. To rehabilitate your GPA, med schools like it when you take upper division courses. Let's face it, it's not impressive to get an A the second time you take a class, but if you get an A in a challenging upper divion science course, that's very impressive. So try to take upper div bio classes to rehabilitate your GPA. That is the recommended cure for low GPA. Don't try to take grad courses to raise GPA. Grad GPA is inflated and is not the same level of difficult as undergrad upper div courses.

I was accepted to med school this cycle and will be starting in the fall. I too had a low GPA,but spent two years doing postbac to raise my GPA. It's hard, but not impossible. You must work hard though. PM me if you have questions. Good luck!
dangit

Postby alwhitti » Sun May 17, 2009 1:09 am

Ok, I'm glad I got that cleared up. I agree with you about retaking lower level undergrad courses. I myself would be much more impressed with a's in upper level classes. I just finished this semester with 17 hours and a 4.0 so that felt good. when you say you spent two years doing post bac, does this mean you did a masters program or what? I'm curious b/c I was looking into grad school. Thanks big time!
alwhitti

Postby twmcgill3 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:25 pm

Ok, I didn't think ACOMAS took the higher grade. Now I haven't really repeated anything per se other than a class I was smart enough to take S/U on (and got a U, prof was in his last semester of his career and disposed of 50% of his class with D or worse).

Here is paste of what counts in broad categories:

Biology:
Anatomy & Physiology
Bacteriology
Biology
Botany
Cellular & Molecular Biology
Cellular Physiology
Ecology
Entomology
Genetics
Herpetology
Histology
Immunology
Microbiology
Molecular Biology
Ornithology
Parasitology
Pathophysiology
Virology
Zoology

Biochemistry:
Biochemistry

English: *the majority of English department courses will satisfy the requirement
Bible Literature
Composition
English
Literature
Poetry
Rhetoric
Theater Literature

General Chemistry:
General Chemistry
Analytical Chemistry
Inorganic Chemistry
Physical Chemistry
Qualitative Analysis
Quantitative Analysis

Calculus or Statistics:
Biostatistics
Calculus
Statistics (for science majors NOT for business)

Organic Chemistry:
Bio-Organic Chemistry
Organic Chemistry

Physics:
Electricity & Light
Magnetism
Mechanical Heat
Physics
Thermodynamics

Other Science:
Agricultural Science
Astronomy
Chiropractic
Computer Science
Dental Hygiene
Electronics
Emergency Med-Tech
Engineering
Epidemiology
Geology
Math (other than Calculus or Statistics)
Medical Technology ONLY if in the Biology department
Meteorology
Nursing*
Nutrition
Occupational Therapy
Pharmacy
Physical Anthropology
Physical Geography
Physical Science
Physical Therapy
Physician Assistant
Radiology
Research seminars in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math
Respiratory Therapy
*For Nursing, Veterinary Medicine, Animal Husbandry, Forestry, and Public Health – determine whether a course is Other Science or Non-Science by title of the course.

Non-Science:
Acting
Archeology
Art
Astrology
Behavioral Science
Bioethics
Business
Communications
Cultural Geography
Economics
Education
Ethics
First Aid
Foreign Language
Forestry
Geography
Government
Health/Personal Hygiene
History
Humanities
Kinesiology
Law
Logic
Medical Terminology
Military Science
Music
Philosophy
Physical Education
Political Science
Public Health
Public Speaking
Religion
Social Ethics
twmcgill3
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby poopy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:14 pm

After browsing through that list, I'm wondering if other courses may be included in the "science" GPA as well?

Biological Psychology: An earlier post mentioned that AACOM doesn't count psychology, but Bio Psych is more focused on neural pathways in the brain. Even though this is a upper division pysch class, would it perhaps be counted as a science?

Statistics: Although the stats class I took was for a Business Admin minor, it was a generic class for multiple majors/minors. The class title is simply called "Intro to Statistics." Would this also be perhaps counted as a science?

Thanks.
poopy

Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)