BCPM/Science GPA = 2.71 MCAT = 32

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

BCPM/Science GPA = 2.71 MCAT = 32

Postby lowhighkang » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:24 am

I plan on applying to mostly to DO schools, but what's getting me is that this minimum required 2.75+ BCPM gpa business. My overall GPA is 3.25. And my MCAT is a 32 (10 bio, 10 phychem, 12 verbal).

When these DO schools say minimum 2.75, is it -- "if you have 2.74, oops, too bad -- you're gone, goodbye" Or do they factor in and consider the MCAT and GPA for pre-screening?

Also, are there any DO schools with a lower minimum requirement...let's say 2.5?

And if any one is wondering why my GPA is so low, well -- it was my fault, working two jobs etc. etc., could have managed time better. But I can't fixate on the past. I' plan on applying this summer in July/Agust.
lowhighkang

Re: BCPM/Science GPA = 2.71 MCAT = 32

Postby OlufunshoBY » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:30 pm

This is a tricky one. Even with DO school, your GPA is well below the average (3.3ish). I haven't seen a med school that requires minimum of 2.75 but even if they put that down, your competitive as an applicant is largely dictated by the qualities of other applicants.

Unless u have a better reason than just working two jobs, most schools won't let u slide on that GPA. Have you thought about postbac program? If you have to satisfy ur curiosity, then u should apply, you never know. Your MCAt is great, but most places know it's a one-time exam and ur GPA reflects ur last 4yrs.

Are u a senoir, junior or graduated from college? If already grad, then postbac might be the route to go, if still a junior, then i'll take more upper level classes and get As in them.

hope this helps
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby CaribMD » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:29 pm

OlufunshoBY wrote:This is a tricky one. Even with DO school, your GPA is well below the average (3.3ish). I haven't seen a med school that requires minimum of 2.75 but even if they put that down, your competitive as an applicant is largely dictated by the qualities of other applicants.

Unless u have a better reason than just working two jobs, most schools won't let u slide on that GPA. Have you thought about postbac program? If you have to satisfy ur curiosity, then u should apply, you never know. Your MCAt is great, but most places know it's a one-time exam and ur GPA reflects ur last 4yrs.

Are u a senoir, junior or graduated from college? If already grad, then postbac might be the route to go, if still a junior, then i'll take more upper level classes and get As in them.

hope this helps

I agree, you see so many point at the past ( even latest stats are over 2 years old) the problem is the applicant pool, you are not competitive to MD at all and not to US DO schools not even Caribbean schools the competitive GPAs are as follows
MD 3.4 to 3.6 above
DO 3.2 to 3.4 above
Caribbean 3.0 above

so your chances at a US DO school are very low

The minum technical requirement ( not competitive) is 3.0 for a US school.

Your app will not even be looked at a lot of schools

I would apply to a DO schools and then the Caribbean 3 SGU, AUC and Ross

Or do a post Bac.

Poor GPA cannot be helped by a MCAT no matter the score they are equals
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby tramflap » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:35 am

KCOM has a minimum GPA of 2.5. I was in your shoes 3 years ago, and decided to apply for their MS in biomedical sciences degree program because I was too late to apply for the DO program. I finished that, and then started the DO program. I would highly recommend this program to anyone. It really prepared me for medical school, taking me from a B- student to an A student!

Some schools have no GPA requirements, they only list what matriculant averages have been. A low science GPA will hinder your chances, but you never know until you apply.

Good luck.
tramflap
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby CaribMD » Sat May 30, 2009 8:00 pm

Well I have to disagree that a 2.7 has any real chance at a US DO

Look I have no doubt that people still get into a DO somewhere with a 2.9 or 3.0 the reason I do not give such advice is that these are the few not the usual and good chances.

SO I stick with below 3.2 I think you still have a shot, under 3.2 I do not see it.

With a 2.7 the Caribbean 3 have trouble accepting you, so how do you think US DO schools will?

( I think you have a shot at Caribbean BTW)
CaribMD
The One
The One

Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)