So where do they work?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

So where do they work?

Postby unknown4ever » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:23 am

Hi Guys,

I was wondering. If DO is such a big practice, how come I don't see that many DO doctors around (I live in cali). I am looking forward to become a surgeon, and would like to keep DO as a back up. But, once i do go to a DO school, isn't it going to be really hard to get into a residency program? I mean i was looking around at residents in certain teaching hospital schools like JHU and Yale, and they seem to have no DOs in their residency programs. Also, is it easy to practice as a DO surgeon in california? is there a demand for them?

Thanks in advance
unknown4ever

Re: So where do they work?

Postby sowelu » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:55 pm

1st off JHU and yale are some of the top schools and JHU is probably the top g surgery residency, so of course you are not going to find one single DO there. Surgery in general is a competitve residency and competitive residencies are much harder for DOs to get. Though there are DO surgery residencies, im just not sure how many or how they are. Also in cali remember there are only 2 DO schools while there are 9 MD schools. And cali has by far some of the most competitve residencies and lots of people want to be here. Combine that with the fact that many cali residents are forced to attend med school outside of cali becuase they schools are so hard to get into, and most of them all end up wanting to come back to do residency here.

Point being there are more then enough spots for MDs here and DO is not the major practice. In other more rural areas and midwest/eastern areas DOs are more common. As for if its easy to practice, sure remember DO=MD as far as practicing is concerned, you are just going to have a harder time getting a residency in g surgery compared to the guy who graduated from UCLA or something.
sowelu
House Staff
House Staff

Postby unknown4ever » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:12 am

Would going to a foreign school be a better choice then? I mean they have the MD behind the name, so would that make a difference. Also regarding foreign schools, say the i kept a top Caribbean school or some school in England as a backup.
unknown4ever

Postby OlufunshoBY » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:34 am

foreign med school is never a better choice than US med school. Go to carribean if u have tried US schools (both DO and MD) with no luck. You might argue you will have a MD degree but the hoops you will have to jump to land that g surgery spot will be a lot more than a DO student. US medical graduate (DO or MD) mostly get first dib on the residency spot unless the foreign med grad blew the USMLE out of the park.

good luck
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby sowelu » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:21 am

Foreign is always worse then US grad. If you cant get into a US MD just go DO. Also with the increased us grads that are coming in the next few years, its going to be harder and harder for foreign grads to land residencies.
sowelu
House Staff
House Staff

Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)