How are my chances for med school?

MCAT preparation and implications of MCAT scores.

Moderators: cheechootrain, CaribMD, AL_emt

How are my chances for med school?

Postby D3LUXx979 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi, I'm wondering if my scores, extracurricular, etc. are sufficient enough to even consider apply for medical school in the US? I am worried about my MCAT score being so low.

GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 26Q -- took this test twice this is my second score. my first was very low at 21Q
Research: for the last 6 months
Volunteering/clinical experience: 2 years at a hospital,
Work: working part time with a physician (interviewing patients, cleaning rooms, etc.) for 2 year, part time at as student assistant past 6 months
Extracurricular: Playing Competitive baseball, Coaching baseball for younger kids, Co-Founder of local community baseball camp for kids, On a boat rowing team (mostly to raise money for breast cancer), Co-owner of a local small business.
D3LUXx979

Re: How are my chances for med school?

Postby bigdoc » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:46 pm

Your MCAT scores are very low, unfortunately. Your grades are good though.

Ultimately, you'll get eliminated just based on your MCAT scores from most schools. Some will weigh your grades in and might pass you through. Apply broadly. Good luck.
bigdoc
Sub-I
Sub-I

Postby vickpick » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:21 pm

bigdoc wrote:Your MCAT scores are very low, unfortunately. Your grades are good though.

Ultimately, you'll get eliminated just based on your MCAT scores from most schools. Some will weigh your grades in and might pass you through. Apply broadly. Good luck.

lol true but his UG institution matters too... if he went an easier one, the grade may not weigh him in....
vickpick
Gunner
Gunner

Postby D3LUXx979 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:22 pm

if i were to take the MCAT for a third time and score over a 30 will that look good? or will it look bad since i've taken it three times? Or should I just apply this year wait to see if i'm accepted anywhere then take the MCAT again if I don't get accepted?
D3LUXx979

Postby sowelu » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:01 pm

D3LUXx979 wrote:if i were to take the MCAT for a third time and score over a 30 will that look good? or will it look bad since i've taken it three times? Or should I just apply this year wait to see if i'm accepted anywhere then take the MCAT again if I don't get accepted?

Improving your score the 3rd time will look good, and honestly with a 26 mcat youre not going anywhere anyways so theres no harm in a retake i think. I know of a few people who took it 3 times and are in med school. I would just retake and pray you can pull a 30. I wouldnt apply unless you have 5 grand to waste and dont mind doing it. Your chances of acceptance are so so low with that MCAT score that its risky. But like I said if your parents are rich or w/e then by all means apply and see what happens. You may get lucky who knows, just remember that anything lower then a 28 basically means its going to be near impossible for someone to accept you.
sowelu
House Staff
House Staff

Next

Return to MCAT Forum