personal statement...

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

personal statement...

Postby sowelu » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:30 pm

I just needed to know how long the personal statement can be, i read on the amcas site 5300 characters...but does that mean 5300 including spaces or not (when i do a word count on word it gives me a character count with and without spaces thats why i ask)? I know its kind of an odd question but i was just wondering. As my personal statement is kinda long and im finding it hard to pair things down.
UCI class of 09'
GPA 3.55
MCAT: 33
sowelu
House Staff
House Staff

Re: personal statement...

Postby Vonsmack » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:58 pm

5300 hundred characters and that includes spaces. There is actually a character count on the AMCAS application so you will know when you paste your essay if you are within the space allowed. If not it will not let you submit your application- so trim away.
Dr. Dan
6 Years on StudentDoc and counting.. :)
Vonsmack
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby vickpick » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:56 pm

Vonsmack wrote:5300 hundred characters and that includes spaces. There is actually a character count on the AMCAS application so you will know when you paste your essay if you are within the space allowed. If not it will not let you submit your application- so trim away.

when is says 5300 hundred characters.. does it have to be arnd 5300 or can it be more like 3500?

3500 is like 2 typed pages...size 12 times new roman...

I mean, i am the least verbose writter u can find... i've always been taught short and crisp is the best way..
GPA: 3.87
Class of '11
MCAT: Preparation started
vickpick
Gunner
Gunner

Postby Vonsmack » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:37 pm

5300 is the max. If you can put all the info needed in your statement in 3500 characters then go for it. The last think you want is to fill up your statement with extra fluff. Quality over quantity for sure, but if you have some really exceptional experiences that you want to include that takes you to the 5300 then you should do it if you think it will help you.
Dr. Dan
6 Years on StudentDoc and counting.. :)
Vonsmack
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby vickpick » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:18 pm

Vonsmack wrote:5300 is the max. If you can put all the info needed in your statement in 3500 characters then go for it. The last think you want is to fill up your statement with extra fluff. Quality over quantity for sure, but if you have some really exceptional experiences that you want to include that takes you to the 5300 then you should do it if you think it will help you.

thanks
GPA: 3.87
Class of '11
MCAT: Preparation started
vickpick
Gunner
Gunner

Next