Too old to start med school???

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Too old to start med school???

Postby wannabeDO » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi All,
I'm 35 years old and have been working for the past 10 years in business after having earned my BA (psych) and MBA degrees. However, my passion is to become a DO. I haven't taken any science courses but plan to take a year off to study at a community college in order to build up my pre-reqs. So I will probably be ready to enter DO school at 37 years of age. I'll be 41 by the time I graduate and will be at least 43 by the end of internship/residency completion. Has anyone here been in my shoes before and do you think it makes sense to go to med school at such an age? I would think I'd have an advantage over younger students just from being around the block a few times and I can help to bring worldly experience and wisdom to the profession. Any advice?

Thank you!!!
wannabeDO

Re: Too old to start med school???

Postby sowelu » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:01 am

There are a fair amount of people who enter medicine as a 2nd career liek yourself. Especially at DO schools. If you look at the range of ages for med school acceptances usually you see about 25-41 or so. Meaning theres more out there like you then you may think . If you want to do it and can financially afford to focus on school and not be in work then by all means go for it! even finsihing school at 45 or so, you still would have a good 25 years to practice maybe more who knows:D
sowelu
House Staff
House Staff

Postby OlufunshoBY » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:58 am

the oldest guy in my class that i know of is 44 yrs of age with 4kids. He board scores (COMLEX 1) is one of the highest in the school history. At 35, you are still young! lol!

good luck
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby Kistasswpo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:52 am

thanks for the list guys. it'll really help me.
Kistasswpo

Postby alan92 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:41 am

You are never too old for anything! :)
alan92

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)