EMT or NA before RN or Medschool

EMT, Radiology Tech, ECG Tech - career options and education discussion.

Moderator: CaribMD

EMT or NA before RN or Medschool

Postby CaribMD » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:48 pm

I think EMT and or NA are good stepping stones for patient experience before going on to Nursing school or Medschool.

What do you think?
CaribMD
The One
The One

Re: EMT or NA before RN or Medschool

Postby will381796 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:50 am

I agree. I've decided to wait until the wife finishes her undergrad before I begin the application process. Gonna need her to be making some money to support my daughter and me...lol.

In the meantime, I'm working full time as well as taking an EMT-B class nights and weekends. My goal is to become the EMT-B and to use that volunteering at a local volunteer firestation or as a member of the Texas Medical Rangers. Either way, I'd be using the EMT-B (since getting the licensing itself means nothing to med schools if you don't use it), getting patient contact hours AND getting some volunteer work in there.

I enjoy it so far. There's a wide range of people in the class from many different backgrounds, so it's good to get to know them. One woman actually finished her first year of medical school but then got pregnant and decided not to go back.

CaribMD wrote:I think EMT and or NA are good stepping stones for patient experience before going on to Nursing school or Medschool.

What do you think?
will381796
Fellow
Fellow

Postby CaribMD » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:33 am

will381796 wrote:I agree. I've decided to wait until the wife finishes her undergrad before I begin the application process. Gonna need her to be making some money to support my daughter and me...lol.

In the meantime, I'm working full time as well as taking an EMT-B class nights and weekends. My goal is to become the EMT-B and to use that volunteering at a local volunteer firestation or as a member of the Texas Medical Rangers. Either way, I'd be using the EMT-B (since getting the licensing itself means nothing to med schools if you don't use it), getting patient contact hours AND getting some volunteer work in there.

I enjoy it so far. There's a wide range of people in the class from many different backgrounds, so it's good to get to know them. One woman actually finished her first year of medical school but then got pregnant and decided not to go back.

CaribMD wrote:I think EMT and or NA are good stepping stones for patient experience before going on to Nursing school or Medschool.

What do you think?
Thanks Will, I did too when I did it ( yea I did both long story)
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby Dimitry » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:27 am

Good Idea. I'm going for it too.
Dimitry

Return to Health Technicians