LECOM-Erie or TOURO-NY???

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

LECOM-Erie or TOURO-NY???

Postby justkiddn » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:04 am

I recently have been accepted into both LECOM and TOURO-NY. As of now these are the only medical schools I am considering and am having a real tough decision between the two. Below is a list of pros and cons that I have developed.

LECOM: Pros - 1. Well established (opened in early 90s). 2. Solid match list (55%-primary care and 45%-other specialties) 3. Plays a huge part in the community 4. secluded (easy to study) 5. Great faculty 6. Cheapest medical school in the country

Cons - 1. Not much to do in the town 2. I live in New Jersey and the only flight that goes directly there is from Phili-semi-inconvenient

TOURO-NY: Pros-1. It is in New York City 2. My family lives in central Jersey, and I went to undergrad in NYC. All my best friends will still be there 3. Good rotation experience with hospitals in NYC 4. Pretty much suits my lifestyle

Cons - 1. New and not well-established 2. During the interview the dean was really pushing the whole idea of family medicine (not that this is bad but a lot of us want to enter more specialized fields) 3. Will not see any sort of residency match

I have never seen a ranking system for DO schools, but there are not many of them. From what I've seen they all seem to be the same. I could be wrong however. Please give me any insight you might have on this decision. Thanks.
justkiddn

Re: LECOM-Erie or TOURO-NY???

Postby obbobbo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:41 am

I must admit that I don't know much about Touro-NY, but I do know a fair amount about LECOM and I would really consider going there. I have a few friends going there and they really like it. Plus, they do have a 93 or 94% first attempt pass rate on the COMLEX. I think that shows that they do a good job teaching you what you need to know to actually reach your goal.

I'm sure you would get a great education at either place. Good luck with your decision.
obbobbo

Postby chereeapland » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:56 pm

Did you choose a school? I have an interview at Touro NY and wanted to know if this school is worth flying so far away for. Thanks.
chereeapland

Postby Slyck » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:02 am

LEECOM is a perfect choice. My ex roomate was from there and he is finishing up his surgery residency now and is going into a vascular fellowship, and the others I met from there are also in surgery and are good residents. Also met many of their grads on the interview trail and they seemed happy and knew their stuff.
Slyck

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)