Please help!!!

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Re: Please help!!!

Postby Basel300324 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:43 pm

Whenever you talk about DO and MD (differences, decisions between the two) it’s hard not to step on someone’s toes. I’m not trying to step on anyone and will explain my opinions as neutral as possible. I am applying to both MD and DO schools. I have researched and understood both sides and many of the pros and cons between them.

You Have a 3.2 GPA (not very strong) and haven’t taken the MCAT yet. It is a long shot for you to get into an MD program at a US school. The three schools you have applied to (Howard, Meharry and Morehouse) are good, lesser competitive (i.e. they are not Harvard) schools. In your position, you really need to think about what you want. If you choose either Carrib or DO schools you set your self up for additional struggles down the road for residency and some idiotic stigmas.

You really want to do specialized surgery? If you don’t get an MD my advice would be Carrib. There are a few Carrib schools that are very well respected by the US and thus you stand a decent shot for a good residency thereby leading you to your ultimate goal.

If you want to stay in the country, DO schools will give you a great, competitive education. Many DO schools train well enough to take both the COMPLEX and USMLE exams. This allows students to take the USMLE exam (the MD board) hopefully making them competitive for MD residencies.

If I was in your shoes, I would worry very much about the MCAT! A solid MCAT score, >30 can make a lot of these stresses and uncertainties go away. Once you have your MCAT score, evaluate your situation, think about what you really want, RESEARCH everything (both Carrib and DO have great opportunities), and come up with a strategic plan. Strategy plays a big part into all of this. Remember, this is a means to an end. Your ultimate goal is to become a doctor.

wasift wrote:I thought someone here told me that school holds an important factor as well.

In the long run, residencies play the important factor as to how, you as a doctor will end up. As far as important factors with each med school.......... The only important factor they have is preparing you well enough to score competitively on the boards and scoring a good residency. Unless you attend Hopkins, Havard etc. most hopitals are looking at where you did your residency, how well you did and your scores on boards.

Hope this helped and good luck.
Basel300324

Postby CaribMD » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:29 pm

You know for years now I have been reading these things

The School matters (medical school)

and Caribbean will not lead to a good residency

Both of these things are BS really what you have done is taken bias and opinion and thought it was fact.

You have a 3.2 GPA how in the heck do you think it stacks up to a 3.5 or 3.6 that the AVERAGE MD applicant has?

3.2 is too low.

The average DO applicant has a 3.4 or 3.5

3.2 is still low but stands a chance

You know you can post and pray and look for encouragement but in the end the real facts are the real facts

Believe me I want you to get what you want and enjoy your life but

Lets understand what the real chances are

MD is going to be a big long shot (You applied to Colleges who tailor to African AMericans)

DO is reasonable

Caribbean would be OK

Fact is

unless the top medical schools the rest are about the same

Caribbean medical schools ( most of them) you can get a decent residency

there is over 30% of FMG ( includes Caribbean ) MD's in the US now all this 30% had to get residencies, all Doctors must do a US residency.

Good Luck to all.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby OlufunshoBY » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:09 pm

again, i believe the school ( even harvard, hopkins, howard) can give you the best education and still fail boards.

School matters to get the right materials needed to prepare you for boards, but u need to know the material to pass boards. just becuase you passed all ur classes in med sch doesn't mean u guaranteed to pass boards.

PASSING BOARDS IS SIGNIFICANTLY DEPENDENT ON YOU, NO MATTER WHAT SCHOOL YOU GO TO!

i agree with caribMD in that either DO or carib student can do just fine. You can go to the worst school ever but a 240 on USMLE will clear up any biasis anyone might have about your ability.

later
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

what do you guys think??

Postby MD2BEEE » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:09 pm

So, here's my situation:

I'm in the spring of my junior year.. I've had a very rocky start at the beginning of my career due to extrenuating circumstances.. all of which have been paper documented and provable. by the end of this semester I'll be at a 3.4 gpa. I've had above a 3.6 gpa for the last three semesters, so I'm showing upward progression from my first year at school. I haven't taken my mcats yet but i plan to take them in june. Also I have 200+ hours of volunteering overseas in a hospital that serves blind disadvantaged people. I also did a semester of independent research on tissue regeneration in corals. to make a long story short, what do you think my chances are of getting into a medical school? By the time I graduate I should have a 3.6 cumm gpa, my science gpa should be within that realm as well. Should I look into a SMP? also if I apply for a masters' in immunology or something to that nature, would I have to complete the program before reapplying to medical schools??
MD2BEEE

Re: what do you guys think??

Postby jhtran » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:37 pm

MD2BEEE wrote:So, here's my situation:

I'm in the spring of my junior year.. I've had a very rocky start at the beginning of my career due to extrenuating circumstances.. all of which have been paper documented and provable. by the end of this semester I'll be at a 3.4 gpa. I've had above a 3.6 gpa for the last three semesters, so I'm showing upward progression from my first year at school. I haven't taken my mcats yet but i plan to take them in june. Also I have 200+ hours of volunteering overseas in a hospital that serves blind disadvantaged people. I also did a semester of independent research on tissue regeneration in corals. to make a long story short, what do you think my chances are of getting into a medical school? By the time I graduate I should have a 3.6 cumm gpa, my science gpa should be within that realm as well. Should I look into a SMP? also if I apply for a masters' in immunology or something to that nature, would I have to complete the program before reapplying to medical schools??

3.6 cGPA and sGPA is relatively good. Now aim for 30+ MCAT and you'll get accepted to at least 1 med school. However, keep in mind that if your GPA falls below a 3.6, then it's usually very slim. If you haven't gotten the hint yet, LOL, 3.6 is somewhat minimal for US MD, despite of what other stories cause you to think.

Also, apply BROADLY, and I don't mean apply to 20 different Ivy League school either. With a 3.6GPA and let say... 32MCAT... I would apply to in-state and mid to lower tier school. Try Harvard if you have a gluttony for rejection.

jhtran
jhtran
Jr. House Staff
Jr. House Staff

Previous | Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)