Please help!!!

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Please help!!!

Postby wasift » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:41 am

Here is my situtation. 3.2 GPA. Was unable to take the MCAT on the scheduled day. Retaking MCAT on the 30th of JAN.
My question is I am applying to 3 MD school Howard Meharry and Morehouse. And I am applying for Caribs as well. Havent applied to any DO schools yet. Do you guys know of any DO schools that will take the Jan 30th MCAT. Also would you prefer US Do schools over Caribs MD.
Keep in my mind my ultimate goal is to end up in Gen Surgery in the US. ofcourse considering High board scores
wasift
Scutophile
Scutophile

Re: Please help!!!

Postby wasift » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:00 pm

any one??? any kinda help would be appreciated. Thank You
wasift
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby OlufunshoBY » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:13 pm

there are no hard and fast rules on which MCAT a med sch will take. Basically, if the entering class for the schools u interested in is not filled yet, then u still got a chance.

As for DO or carrib, in general which ever one will get you to ur final goal (surgery). The real determinant of ur chances for surgery is ur boards scores not the sch u attend.

hope this helps
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby wasift » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:13 am

I thought someone here told me that school holds an important factor as well. I dont know.. I am so freakin confused on what my next step should me. I want to be ready to make my decision when i get my acceptances from Caribs and DO. I know MD is along shot but I still have applied to 3 MD schools. Any one of them accepts me and I am going there (no brainer!!); but what if I don't get accepted. I was confused on what to do then DO or Caribs MD. My ultimate goal is specialty surgery. Somewhere between the lines of Caridothoracic, neuro, ortho or Plastics considering a Good Board score. So any suggestions, DO or Caribs MD
wasift
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby tramflap » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:50 am

http://opportunities.osteopathic.org will help you answer your question. Why? DO's have their own residencies (DO's only), so you can apply to both the osteopathic and allopathic spots. There are qmany EXCELLENT DO residency programs available (PCOM consortium, Henry Ford consortium, Ohio Health consortium to name a few). I believe that both types of schools put out great doc's, but the DO route comes out ahead in my book.
tramflap
Scutophile
Scutophile

Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)