Chances of Getting into OU D.O. Med school

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Chances of Getting into OU D.O. Med school

Postby _Future_DO » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:20 pm

Hello there,
I have a question about my chances at getting into a D.O school. My current situtation is horrible as I have ruined my first quarter of my junior year taking 18 credit hours of upper level science classes and basically getting a D in one of them (Anatomy and physiology combined course). I feel like the world has ended for me...I have a 2.879 G.P.A and an MCAT score of 33. This quarter however is going to bring my G.P.A down badly due to the fact that the anatomy course was 5 credit hours. However, Im still taking the second ANT in the sequence and my second biochem (I have no idea what Im going to endup with in there so im keeping my fingers crossed) in the upcoming winter quarter. I did a very stupid thing taking 18 crh of heavy loaded science and I feel miserable. I want to become a Doctor more than anything and I wouldnt care whether im a D.O. or and M.D. I just care about helping the patient and taking their pain away (though my heart is more set on becoming a D.O. because I feel like people underestimate how much a D.O. doctor really knows and can offer). I will be repeating that anatomy course in the upcoming fall of next year when I send in my application to apply for med school (OU). What do you think? am I doomed? I have been volunteering in the ER for almost a year and I will be getting a job as a transport (phlebotomy and EKG training as well) at a nearby hospital very soon. Please tell me that all is not over...that I can still make it...I will be graduating 2010.
_Future_DO

Re: Chances of Getting into OU D.O. Med school

Postby CaribMD » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:19 am

OK lets stop here..........

SOmething is going wrong

YOu are failing 2 classes
I have a 2.879 G.P.A and an MCAT score of 33.

You are right about being in bad situation, at this time applying to medical schools is on hold.

You cannot apply until that GPA is increased to at least 3.2, if its 3.0 and below your chances at any US DO school is about 0 (97% chance you will be rejected) you will have to do a post Bac or apply to the Caribbean.

Lets focus now on school the pressure is off for applying.

What are you doing in a typical week?

DO you work?
Do you go out a lot?

How many hours studying?
Quality studying?

SHould you rethink major?

#1 in your life has to be school, ( Except family) if it is not and play time and work is then rethink your goals, unless school is more then 60% of your week then something is a miss here.

:?:
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby _Future_DO » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:58 am

well, I know I have screwed up the two classes...I had a very rough first year at school and since then I have trying to steadily raise my grades. I have not gotten such bad grades in a long time, my grades have been mostly Bs and Cs and a few As here and there. I dont work but I volunteer at the hospital about once a week and you can hardly consider that pressure...I will be getting a job as a transport in a few weeks at the local hospital which should be fine. I dont go out and I dont go to parties or anything...my social life sucks frankly :) I dont think I have the correct study habits...I study but i concentrate on one subject for about two weeks before its exam and then try and catch up with the others. Its ridiculous...I cant eat or sleep, in fact I went on my biochem exam after not sleeping for approximately 24 hrs...oh that was fun!!!I try, I really really try but something just doesnt seem to be working....
_Future_DO

Postby CaribMD » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:15 am

_Future_DO wrote:well, I know I have screwed up the two classes...I had a very rough first year at school and since then I have trying to steadily raise my grades. I have not gotten such bad grades in a long time, my grades have been mostly Bs and Cs and a few As here and there. I dont work but I volunteer at the hospital about once a week and you can hardly consider that pressure...I will be getting a job as a transport in a few weeks at the local hospital which should be fine. I dont go out and I dont go to parties or anything...my social life sucks frankly :) I dont think I have the correct study habits...I study but i concentrate on one subject for about two weeks before its exam and then try and catch up with the others. Its ridiculous...I cant eat or sleep, in fact I went on my biochem exam after not sleeping for approximately 24 hrs...oh that was fun!!!I try, I really really try but something just doesnt seem to be working....

never never never cram again

Next time at the Hospital take an oath to change this, cramming is not learning, its putting into short term memory a lot of information you may not understand.

In medical school you need to think and understand and in upper level courses you need to understand too.

Never take a test without rest.

So this may be the problem. :?:
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby _Future_DO » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:23 am

I agree with you completely. I think that has caused my downfall...However, do you think if I retake the two classes and raise my grades more (hoping for a lot of As) would I be good enough to apply for the 2010 cycle for OU? thanks again for replying :)
_Future_DO

Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)