Will Being an EMT Secure My Chances For Getting Into Saba?

EMT, Radiology Tech, ECG Tech - career options and education discussion.

Moderator: CaribMD

Will Being an EMT Secure My Chances For Getting Into Saba?

Postby Confused 20 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:52 pm

I am very much interested in attending Saba, however, I feel that I may not have enough of the necessary requirements. I hope to apply this summer without having taken Organic Chemistry II. Do you feel that my chances of admission will be secured if I become an EMT given my statistics shown below? Will I most likely be granted admission with the stipulation that I pass or earn a certain grade in Organic Chemistry II? What do you feel my chances are? Do you feel that it is necessary that I earn an EMT license and work as an EMT to gain admission or are my 854.5 hours of volunteering in Same Day Surgery enough? It is a big decision for me to earn an EMT license and apply so any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any input.

Overall GPA: 3.826
Science GPA: 3.759
Solid extracurriculars
Clinical Experience: Volunteering in Same Day Surgery 854.5 hours
Solid LORs
No Physics or MCAT
2 classes shy of a Political Science degree
Confused 20
Gunner
Gunner

Re: Will Being an EMT Secure My Chances For Getting Into Saba?

Postby CaribMD » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:39 pm

With Physics and Orgo 2 missing? I do not know?

Your GPA is good

No Mcat is a set back too

You can try but SABA has turned down some this year with everything and half decent GPA's

Did you look into Dr. Ross's new school?

Good Luck
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby jhtran » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:14 am

Wait... WHAT?

Dude, why don't you just take the stupid Physic class and suck it up and do your MCAT and get into a US Medical school? To put it in blunt terms, you are giving up years of hard work and dedication (hence the 3.8GPA) to avoid an easy-as-pie class (Physics) and an exam that takes you no more than 6 months of preparation to do well on.

IT DOESNT MATTER IF YOU ARE 2 CLASSES SHY OR 4 YEARS SHY OF A POLITICAL SCIENCE BACHELOR, SABA WILL NOT ACCEPT YOU WITHOUT A BACHELOR DEGREE AND MCAT. IN FACT, I THINK THAT NO US SCHOOL OR BIG 4 WILL ACCEPT YOU WITHOUT THESE REQUIREMENTS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU ARE EMT-CERTIFIED OR SAVED THE WORLD FROM GLOBAL WARMING!!

Suck it up, finish your bachelor, take physics and all premed prereqs, study and ace the MCAT, and get into a US MD school.

I apologize if I sound harsh, but that's the only sure way to make someone do something. LOL.

jhtran
jhtran
Jr. House Staff
Jr. House Staff

Postby Confused 20 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:45 pm

I would like to thank you two gentlemen for your replies. Do you feel that if I were to finish my degree, take the Physics requirements, and become an EMT that my chances of earning admittance would be great (I still would apply without the MCAT and Organic Chemistry II)?

Thank you in advance for anyone who is kind enough to provide any input.
Confused 20
Gunner
Gunner

Postby CaribMD » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:08 am

yes I think if you finish and do really well on the MCAT then you may find yourself accepted at some of the top schools in the country.

By trying to rush this some you may be shortchanging your self.

Good Luck :wink:
CaribMD
The One
The One

Next

Return to Health Technicians