Screenwriter seeks answer to medical question

Review your favorite medical TV show.
Was it medically accurate? Was it anatomically accurate (that is, do residents actually look like that?)?

Screenwriter seeks answer to medical question

Postby Mklangelo » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:30 pm

Hello,

I'm currently wrapping up a script which will be submitted to professional scrutiny. Not medical professionals but Hollywood movie professionals. I want all my ducks in a row.

In short: Could a person commit suicide by chewing through his/her IV line, and blowing air from their mouth into the line?

I have done a bit of research and discovered that a gas embolism is much more dangerous in an Artery than in a Vein. Only if the embolism travels via the vein to the heart and into an artery is it at it's greatest potential for death. Or if large enough, can cause the equivalent of "Vapor Lock" inside the heart itself. Is any of this true?

Thanks in advance!

I know it's a weird question but thought this was the best place to ask. Writer's are always looking into these strange things.

:-)
Mklangelo

Re: Screenwriter seeks answer to medical question

Postby CaribMD » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:12 am

Mklangelo wrote:Hello,

I'm currently wrapping up a script which will be submitted to professional scrutiny. Not medical professionals but Hollywood movie professionals. I want all my ducks in a row.

In short: Could a person commit suicide by chewing through his/her IV line, and blowing air from their mouth into the line?

I have done a bit of research and discovered that a gas embolism is much more dangerous in an Artery than in a Vein. Only if the embolism travels via the vein to the heart and into an artery is it at it's greatest potential for death. Or if large enough, can cause the equivalent of "Vapor Lock" inside the heart itself. Is any of this true?

Thanks in advance!

I know it's a weird question but thought this was the best place to ask. Writer's are always looking into these strange things.

:-)

I'm going to go ahead and answer this as a air in the IV line question that many have asked me before.
To do a "House" kind of thinking.......... it takes 60cc of air to cause a potential problem, so for a person to do such they would have to really blow into the line really hard, IV's are in veins yet it would be possible. An Air embolism would cause an Arrhythmia more then likely.

(Understand our rules here is not to give out medical advice but this is not advice and this is nothing more then hypothetical so I'm allowing it.
Bill)
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby cheechootrain » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:18 pm

You know what will make an exciting suicide death? If you hold your breath.
cheechootrain
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby CaribMD » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:50 pm

cheechootrain wrote:You know what will make an exciting suicide death? If you hold your breath.
LOL you have reflex that prevents death, you become unconscious and thus breath again.

I think for murder mystery the idea is untraceable ways to die too, Air embolism has been one played with for while.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Return to Medical TV Shows