I'm in nursing school and already want to switch...

For applicants who have been out of school for a few years, or are planning to have a family in medical school, or have other non-traditional qualities.

Moderators: CaribMD, AL_emt

Re: I'm in nursing school and already want to switch...

Postby CaribMD » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:16 pm

I'm beginning to think 41 was young when I went to medical school.......... Ah sweet Dementia
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby cheechootrain » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:16 am

Man, dementia is a scary thing. You better get that checked out. :lol:
cheechootrain
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby crc4f2 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:54 pm

I chose nursing as my premed from the outset. Everyone told me I was crazy, but I couldn't see how clinical experience and a professional healthcare license would be a bad thing. In nursing school I also taugh physiology as a TA for 3 years, and had MANY experiences with my nursing instructors like what you've described. Bottom line is, nursing only focuses on the surface-level stuff... and I was extremely frustrated through the whole program. I got high grades in all my hard science courses and my science GPA overall was somewhere around 3.7. I got Bs in every single nursing class because I was thinking like a scientist, not a nurse. I argued with my instructors after every exam and when it came down to it, they didn't understand the physiology or pathology as well as I did... but they had no problem giving me Bs.

I have since done an MS in physiology and worked as an RN for 3 years (ER, ICU, IMC, tele) and have done a bit of traveling and agency work. Then money is great... but not worth it. I applied last year to 12 schools and didn't even get an interview. I applied to 25 schools this year ($13,000 just for application fees) and have 2 acceptances, both DO. When I start med school this fall, I'm gonna be way ahead of my peers, but the difficulty of this path has not been worth it. If you want to do medicine, get your BS in biology like everyone else, take the MCAT end of your junior year and go to straight med school. Schools say they like diversity, but look at the numbers... a huge percent of med students are biology majors, and for a reason. I had 3 interviews (out of 25 schools) and each one asked why I didn't want to be a nurse anymore. It's hard to answer that question, and you really have to carefully consider the answer if you continue with nursing. Again, I'll say that if you want to go to med school, go for it. You probably won't be happy as a nurse, or DNP or CRNA, etc. But don't go to med school cause you're smart... go if it's your passion. Final note, DO schools will be much more likely to accept you with your BSN than MD schools. PM me if you have questions.
crc4f2
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby rugilerar » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:49 am

You should definitely do what you want to! I'm now horribly struggling with my wish to do science while studying medicine. Nobody understands my wish and the thing I just want to do is to work part-time in a laboratory... People are also saying that I should focus on what I study but I want more! So I understand you very well. Keep going!
rugilerar

Postby sindyciaray » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:50 am

I would caution you to not burn any bridges.
sindyciaray

Previous | 

Return to Non-Traditional Premeds