Student Doc Forum

MCAT Forum | USMLE Forum

Da Bears and other important distractions...

Make physical education compulsory

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:02 am

Participation in sport promotes health. The effect on self-esteem and well-being as a product of sport can only be experienced by certain children if forced by their schools to first participate. A recent report to the European Parliament declared 'physical education is a springboard for involvement in sport and physical activities throughout life.

Re: Make physical education compulsory

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:19 pm

I agree that being active in a sport or outgoing activities is important for everyone. They promote great healthy lifestyles via emotional, physical, and mental wellbeing.

Did you say that schools should force their students to become part of sports and physical activities? How do you think this would work, practically?

Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:40 am

It actually is compulsory at the university I attended, there is a physical education requirement for 1 year in order to graduate.

Unless the student proves one of two things:

(1) Varsity athlete, such that their time would be better spent with their team and general phys-ed is unnecessary

(2) Physical disability which precludes athletic activities

And I agree absolutely with the requirement. Especially given the obesity epidemic, increasing reliance on technology and services rather than doing physical tasks by oneself, etc.

Some students resented the requirement as if their physical health is none of the university's business, have to disagree because student health care is literally the university's business, costs a lot of money and resources to take care of sick students who didn't take care of themselves.

There are lots of reasons why compulsory requirement for graduation is a good idea, and it's not impractical to implement. Actually exists including at top schools (where many students would actually rather be studying than in the gym !)

Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:38 am

Agree physical education should made compulsory as it adds sporty event for the kids and faculty as well