What Undergrad Major to Pick for Med school?

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Re: What Undergrad Major to Pick for Med school?

Postby CaribMD » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:27 pm

VessleOfGod wrote:
bapassey wrote:Really, I don't think that the major you choose is that important.

I got in with an undergrad degree in psychology. My friend got in with a degree in French. Most of my class got in doing some sort of science, but really I agree with CaribMD in saying that you should just pick something you like doing.

Hey does this mean that for an example Music. If i have a music degree how on Earth could I pass the MCAT?? Are you saying you took the classes that you needed but just had a major that had nothing to do with medicine...?

Yes any major means you still have to take the 1 yr of Bio, chem, ochem and physics
but that would be it
the GPA is seen as the same as a GPA in Bio
In fact to make this clear
there is no such thing as a "Harder school or Harder Major" all they care about is the GPA
You have to look at it this way:
To a person who music does not come easy then its a hard major but to the "Gifted" its not as hard and they do well
To a person who physics is a complete mystery even after hours of study then they will not do well and doing a major in Physics is really unwise yet to those who Physics is a joy and "Easier" then they will have high GPA's

DO you see where I'm coming from?
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby spk2moi » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:02 pm

It won't matter that she changed. Her grades are good, and hopefully her MCAT score will reflect that. New pre-meds won't have the same freedom to choose non-science majors and still graduate on time, given the anticipated changes to the 2015 MCAT. It will add focus on genetics, biochemistry and cellular and molecular biology, plus some social sciences. Here's a quick look at the new test: New MCAT If you can pursue something you love AND get your pre-med requirements out of the way, that's the ideal.
Last edited by Adminnaoum on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Remove link building
spk2moi

Postby Jflex1MCAT » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:11 pm

Biology would be a good Major.
Jflex1MCAT

Postby SnakeOil » Fri May 04, 2012 10:47 pm

I majored in biology, if I could go back I would have majored in something like finance or business. You're going to be studying medicine the rest of your life, might as well take advantage of the opportunity to learn something they aren't going to teach you in medical school.
SnakeOil

Postby mainiac123 » Sat May 19, 2012 1:17 pm

microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology..something along those lines for sure!
mainiac123

Previous | Next

Return to Premed Forum