Chances of getting into med schools with your scores

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Re: Chances of getting into med schools with your scores

Postby Adminnaoum » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:31 pm

Hey Wildcherry,

Welcome to StudentDoc.

I wish I could tell you a score for guaranteed acceptance to med school, but so many factors go into it that no score guarantees acceptance.

That said, a GPA above 3.5, an MCAT above 30, and strong letters of recommendation make you competitive.

If you want a general idea you can play around with the MCAT score analysis tool.

If you want specific probabilities, you can purchase a Premed Status Report ($25) that calculates med school acceptance probability from your personal scores and demographics based on historic data, and does a few "what if" scenarios to show how different GPAs or MCAT scores would affect your chances.
Adminnaoum
Site Admin
Site Admin

cumulative GPA 3.3; science GPA 3.1 + lots of EC

Postby macinanay » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi!

I have finally decided to apply to med school since I graduated from college 2 years ago.

My cGPA is a 3.3 and my sGPA is a 3.1. My sGPA remained pretty consistent throughout the 4 years with mostly B's and B+'s (one C+, one F, a few A and A-'s). I have not taken the MCAT yet, but plan on taking it in a few months.

I have had basic lab research experience for ~2 years in high school plus a summer research program at a prestigious hospital during my sophomore year in college.

I have been working in clinical research at the same prestigious hospital for the past ~4 months. I was actually hired after 6 months of volunteer work in that lab. So technically, about 10 months of clinical research work!

My ECs comprise of dance, a science advisory board, hospital volunteer work, volunteer work in my city, and an honorable mention in a publication from my research during high school.

My two years since graduation have been a mish mosh of things. I worked at a few jobs that were unrelated to my career goals. I volunteered at the hospital I now work at and in the Emergency Dept at another prestigious hospital. I also dealt with the loss of a close friend who died due to medical issues (which has sprung me forward in my decision to pursue medical school).

In the meantime, I am working on doing more presentations and trying to get my name on a publication(s).

If I am to apply to medical school (MD and DO) this fall, what are my chances of getting in?
Would it be wiser to build up my credentials and then apply next year? I would really hate to wait another year, but if my chances will be much higher, I am willing to do it.

Thank you all for your input!
macinanay

Postby chand1027 » Sun May 13, 2012 3:50 am

I just graduated under grad and i have applied to post bacc programs
so i plan on starting med school 2013
my current gpa is a 3.394
my mcat scores are as follows
PS: 9
BS: 10
V: 4
WR: M
I am planning to retake the mcats this summer.I know I need to raise my score esp my verbal
my EC's include:
shadowing a doc
volunteering at a hospice
tutoring (paid and volunteering both)
i volunteered as a child mentor
and i have been a part of 3 research projects. I presented all 3 of them at conferences and 2 of them have had abstract publications
What are everyone's opinions on my chances of getting into med school? I want honest answers and also suggestions on improving chances. I know i want to become a doctor and I can't imagine doing anything else so I would appreciate ANY suggestions you guys have! Thanks! :)
chand1027

Postby chand1027 » Sun May 13, 2012 4:00 am

Hey guys!!
I just graduated and I am planning on doing a post bacc next year. I was wondering on everyone's opinions on my chances of getting into med school and I am interested in any suggestion u guys have.
my under grad gpa is 3.394
my mcat scores:
PS: 9
BS: 10
V: 4
WR: M

ECs
I was a part of 3 research projects. I have presented all 3 and 2 of them were abstract publications
Shadowing a doc
volunteering at a hospice
tutoring (paid and volunteer)
I volunteered as a child mentor

. I am going to take my MCATs again this summer. I know I need to bring up my score esp verbal and writing. I want to go to med school! And I am willing to do whatever it takes so please let me know any suggestions u might have!
chand1027

Postby brand5684 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:43 am

Hi all, I finished my undergrad in 2007 BA in Philosophy with cgpa 3.2 and sgpa 3.8, and just finished post bacc with a 3.7 overall (175 hours total). My first mcat was 29 and my second is 31, have over 100 hours volunteer shadowing, ER and also good LORs from MDs and professors. I went to community college for the first two years that's why my science gpa is higher, took CHM 1 & 2/BIO/STATS there. I took Orgo 1 & 2/Physics 1 & 2 and BIO 2 in post bacc at 4 year. Not sure that changes anything for admission purposes but figured I would add it just in case. What are my chances getting in.
brand5684

Previous | Next

Return to Premed Forum