low gpa + high mcat + volenteer experience + high sgpa

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Re: low gpa + high mcat + volenteer experience + high sgpa

Postby CaribMD » Mon May 10, 2010 12:16 pm

TriagePreMed wrote:
sjsmall wrote:Is there anything I can do, help me achieve an oppurtunity to get into a DO school in the US? If so which ones and what can I do to be able to make me more competitive?

If you can get it up to a 3.0, you got a good shot at Osteopathic. You don't even need to do a post-bacc program, though it would help you. Try taking some classes at your local 4-year. Do it quick though because MCAT usually works for 3 years.

I dunno, the Average GPA now is 3.4 to 3.5 for DO schools, the problem is everyone still goes by data 5 years old for stats.
I would look at about 10 to 20 DO schools and see what the average accepted GPA and MCAT was (Like I did when I had time 2 years ago) I think you find that a 3.0 is low.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby sjsmall » Mon May 10, 2010 4:55 pm

So if i can pull my cumulative GPA up to a 3.0 it would give me a better shot?
sjsmall

Postby CaribMD » Mon May 10, 2010 5:56 pm

sjsmall wrote:So if i can pull my cumulative GPA up to a 3.0 it would give me a better shot?

IMHO yes for Caribbean schools
For Post Bac yes, but for US DO schools no its not high enough from what I know.

I'm far from the last word on this, its my opinion based on my experience. :wink:
CaribMD
The One
The One

Previous | 

Return to Premed Forum