low gpa + high mcat + volenteer experience + high sgpa

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

low gpa + high mcat + volenteer experience + high sgpa

Postby sjsmall » Sun May 09, 2010 5:25 am

I am a senior in college looking to figure out if I have a shot at getting into a DO school. I am an engineering major with a 2.65 cumalative gpa 3.5 science gpa and a 32 mcat score. The engineering classes really brought my gpa down. I do have volenteer experience over the past two years and have taken 3 leadership roles at my time at college. Do I have a shot at a DO or MD schools?

If I do which ones?

If I dont what could I do to have a shot at getting in?
sjsmall

Re: low gpa + high mcat + volenteer experience + high sgpa

Postby CaribMD » Sun May 09, 2010 12:25 pm

sjsmall wrote:I am a senior in college looking to figure out if I have a shot at getting into a DO school. I am an engineering major with a 2.65 cumalative gpa 3.5 science gpa and a 32 mcat score. The engineering classes really brought my gpa down. I do have volenteer experience over the past two years and have taken 3 leadership roles at my time at college. Do I have a shot at a DO or MD schools?

If I do which ones?

If I dont what could I do to have a shot at getting in?

Honestly I do not think DO schools will truly consider you with the low GPA

Science and MCAT are awesome, Look at SGU, AUC and ROSS in the Caribbean, I think you have a good shot of acceptance and the grads are getting very very good residencies :mrgreen:
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby sjsmall » Sun May 09, 2010 3:28 pm

Is there anything I can do, help me achieve an oppurtunity to get into a DO school in the US? If so which ones and what can I do to be able to make me more competitive?
sjsmall

Postby CaribMD » Sun May 09, 2010 7:27 pm

sjsmall wrote:Is there anything I can do, help me achieve an oppurtunity to get into a DO school in the US? If so which ones and what can I do to be able to make me more competitive?

Without a Post Bac no
Do some research, find out about the Applicant pool at a US MD or DO school

From what I know the range of GPA of accepted students at DO schools is 3.1 to 3.6
MD is 3.3 to 3.9

Common sense, if your a school looking to fill your 100 to 200 seats and have 5000 applicants, then are you going to read all 5000 applications or weed it down some with GPA and MCAT cut offs?

You need a post bac and get a 3.5 in it to prove yourself or

you can go to one of the Caribbean 3. DO not listen to others at school, SGU, AUC and ROSS are just like US medical schools and just as successful. All three have research and all three are approved for US gov student loans. Check out the match lists at each school's web site its impressive.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby TriagePreMed » Mon May 10, 2010 1:49 am

sjsmall wrote:Is there anything I can do, help me achieve an oppurtunity to get into a DO school in the US? If so which ones and what can I do to be able to make me more competitive?

If you can get it up to a 3.0, you got a good shot at Osteopathic. You don't even need to do a post-bacc program, though it would help you. Try taking some classes at your local 4-year. Do it quick though because MCAT usually works for 3 years.
TriagePreMed
Sub-I
Sub-I

Next

Return to Premed Forum