study abroad grades in amcas GPA--HELP PLEASE

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

study abroad grades in amcas GPA--HELP PLEASE

Postby leel » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:39 pm

i was told that study abroad grades in letter form, if on the transcrrpt of the ameircan school sponsoring the program woudl be included in the amcas GPA-- i submited tha transcript. my home school doesn't accept ANY outside grades for GPA, and listed the classses on my home school transcpt as pass fail.. AMCAS now told me they won't use the study abroad transript, event tho it is on an american school transcipt (arcadia) because " arcadia sponsored the program, you weren't enrolled in the school--"

has anyone heard of this with study abroadd grades-- is the person at amcas that just gave me this info right? The amcas site on this is very fuzzy-- what do i do-- this really impact my amcas gpa

thanks for you help
leel

Re: study abroad grades in amcas GPA--HELP PLEASE

Postby AL_emt » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:55 pm

If you were listing those courses as pass/fail then removing them from your AMCAS application will have no effect on your GPA. AMCAS doesn't consider AP, CLEP, IB, DSST, CBE, and pass/fail coursework when computing your GPA.

If AMCAS isn't willing to accept the courses you listed, you may have to bite the bullet on this one and simply remove them from your application. The GPA thing shouldn't be affected based on what you've stated. Good luck!

EDIT: Do you mean that YOU listed the courses as P/F or that your school did? If YOU listed them, then the GPA will not be affected. If the SCHOOL listed them, then you will have to accept whatever AMCAS is willing to list for your GPA. In my experience, they aren't very flexible about this sort of thing.
AL_emt
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby leel » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:58 pm

no-- the ranscript i submitted ws from arcadia-- the american school that sposored the study abroad-- it had letter grades on it-- my home school then substituted pass/fail, because they used those courses for my elective requirments, but they dont' use outside grades for thier gpa--

why owuld i want to remove the courses in any event, as one poster suggested--

i just don't understand why they wont use the arcadia transcipt, which is from an american school,
leel

Postby AL_emt » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:19 pm

AMCAS doesn't accept coursework listed on a transcript that wasn't taken at the institution issuing the transcript. They require transcripts from every accredited institution, and it sounds like they aren't going to recognize the foreign institution in this case. I'm not sure how the DO application service views foreign coursework, but I know for a fact that it isn't a sure thing with AMCAS. Sones like you might be out of luck on this one, sorry.
AL_emt
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby liza22 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:49 am

Hey, I am new to the thread and does not know much about it, but I would like to suggest that you should ones consult the AMCAS Applicant Guide. Also If you are searching for the best summer study abroad programs then I would like to suggest Abbey Road Programs.
liza22

Return to Premed Forum