D1 Athlete and Medical School

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

D1 Athlete and Medical School

Postby cke11 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:32 pm

Hey guys,

I just had a quick question. I was wondering what my chances are of getting into med school. I've been told various things about GPA/MCAT scores and I'm not really sure what to gauge off of. For example, I am a D1 soccer player, been awarded 1st team all-academic, 2nd team All conference, I'm a junior, 3.6 GPA 3.5 ScienceGPA, I do plenty of volunteering/research and I work a lot with kids because I want to be a pediatrician. Let me know what you guys think. I still have another year of college left to bump up my GPA, if need be, and I am planning on taking the MCAT after college because I would like to take a year off. How do you think I'm looking so far?
cke11

Re: D1 Athlete and Medical School

Postby CrackingMed » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:59 pm

I think you are on your way to becoming a doctor! I am training to be a pediatrician and have advised hundreds of medical school applications.

Keep up with your extracurricular activities and maintain a high GPA. If you push up your GPA even higher, you will have a better chance at getting interviews for medical school. A strong MCAT score is very important in your application, so study hard for it!

I have written a book with Stanford Medical Students called "Cracking Medical School Admissions." In the book, we have tons of tips that will help you in the application process. Also, you can read the story of a medical school student who was a college athlete, just like you. Feel free to check our site out and buy our book! www.crackingmedadmissions.com
CrackingMed

Postby CaribMD » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:29 pm

cke11 wrote:Hey guys,

I just had a quick question. I was wondering what my chances are of getting into med school. I've been told various things about GPA/MCAT scores and I'm not really sure what to gauge off of. For example, I am a D1 soccer player, been awarded 1st team all-academic, 2nd team All conference, I'm a junior, 3.6 GPA 3.5 ScienceGPA, I do plenty of volunteering/research and I work a lot with kids because I want to be a pediatrician. Let me know what you guys think. I still have another year of college left to bump up my GPA, if need be, and I am planning on taking the MCAT after college because I would like to take a year off. How do you think I'm looking so far?

Your application will depend on several important factors:
GPA
MCAT score ( how many times you took it)
Volunteer service
Other activities like Playing Soccer
Your Personal Statement ( this describes who you are and what you want to do in life and why)

GPA is great
Your volunteering sounds good
That's Dr. Carib now! Graduated Aureus U of Med 2011
Intern Fajardo Hospital 2017
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby sova196 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:10 am

I agree with the previous author, volunteering will be a big plus!)
publix portal
Last edited by sova196 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sova196

Postby andyson » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:46 pm

andyson

Next

Return to Premed Forum