Physician assistant or Nurse practicioner

Career and education discussion for nurses and nursing students. LPN/LVN, BSN, RN, MSN, Doctor of Nursing.

Moderator: CaribMD

Postby horvat » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:55 pm

you guys are rough. Sorry for the typo. I write at work so I dont have time to chek what I write. the question concerns a girl-but that doesnt even matter. My question is what do you guys think has a better job outlook and satisfaction out of the two? Nurse practicioner seems to have more freedom as to choose a specialty, but I might be wrong. That was my question. I strongly beleive that if you dont have an answer or a word of advice you shouldnt reply to a post - even one with a obvious error. Thank you everyone.
horvat
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby dafish721 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:18 pm

I am a nurse practitioner with a doctorate in Nursing (ND). I have been in practice in the ED setting for 8 years. As far as NP vs PA goes they are viewed my people in health care as very similar and occationally interchangable. In reality the PA training is frequentlyat the Associate degree level but has been moving more toward the Masters level. NPs are Bachelors prepared and then are required to get their Masters in order to sit for boards. As of 2015 they will be required to have a doctorate to sit for national boards. PA tend to practice in more technical task oriented settings, i.e. first assists in the OR. They tend to act as life long residents doing what would be considered the "skut work" of the surgeon/physician. NPs tend to practice in FP/ED/GYN settings. My residency was 5 years post bachelors and even with my doctorate 95% of the time I am called by my first name. My advice is tell your friend to goto medical school. My residence was side by side with the medical interns rotating just like them in the same settings and capacities but the end of each of our journies as far as respect, power, authority, pay, and satisfaction goes, the physicians are the clear winners.
dafish721

Well written....

Postby bigdoc » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:46 pm

Excellent wording. I am impressed.

It's a shame that there is so much professional disparity between the residents and nurse practitioner-in-training.

In Canada, nurse practitioners enjoy excellent pay with immense amounts of respect from interns all the way to old-time attendings. In fact, I can honestly say that the top nurse practitioners are the darlings of the hospitals and were probably the most influential and powerful of all personnel. Quite the exciting career, and very rewarding. Much better than being an MD, in my opinion.
bigdoc
Sub-I
Sub-I

PA vs NP

Postby kito1982 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:09 pm

Please don't tell the world about my profession because it seems that you know very little about us. You are quite wrong when you state that the majority of the physician assistant programs are "associate", the majority of the programs are at the Master's level with a few rogue schools in FL that are Associates. The rest were bachelor's. Also to your regard of skut work......no offense the worst physician assistant can out practice an average(whom is an overglorified nurse according to a lot of MD's where I am from) NP anyday and twice on sunday. Also look at our salaries..... Starting out we make more on average than NP's so for the "skut work" we get paid a little more than you do. Also are training is 3/4 of medical school while yours is no offense that of a nurse. If you want to talk about a profession do your research before generalizing son. And a personal comment to you about getting your Doctorate congratulations but it seems like you wanted to be a MD and don't/didn't have the drive to go for your real goal. Remember that sadly our professions are intertwined and I would prefer you to not make comments about a professions that is better trained and more respect than that of a ND.
Goodbye,
Doctor Nurse.(Dafish or whatever it was.)
kito1982

Re: PA vs NP

Postby CaribMD » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:28 pm

kito1982 wrote:Please don't tell the world about my profession because it seems that you know very little about us. You are quite wrong when you state that the majority of the physician assistant programs are "associate", the majority of the programs are at the Master's level with a few rogue schools in FL that are Associates. The rest were bachelor's. Also to your regard of skut work......no offense the worst physician assistant can out practice an average(whom is an overglorified nurse according to a lot of MD's where I am from) NP anyday and twice on sunday. Also look at our salaries..... Starting out we make more on average than NP's so for the "skut work" we get paid a little more than you do. Also are training is 3/4 of medical school while yours is no offense that of a nurse. If you want to talk about a profession do your research before generalizing son. And a personal comment to you about getting your Doctorate congratulations but it seems like you wanted to be a MD and don't/didn't have the drive to go for your real goal. Remember that sadly our professions are intertwined and I would prefer you to not make comments about a professions that is better trained and more respect than that of a ND.
Goodbye,
Doctor Nurse.(Dafish or whatever it was.)

Well, I agree with you Most are BS degree programs, in Maryland there are two community colleges who offer PA programs but it is comjuction with a BS degree.

As far as the insulting comments, it is unprofessional for you to post like this. NP's are paid well and can practice independently in some states. I really do not think PA's can at all. Also a PA will never be a MD. Maybe thats why you are so angry? I think both should be respected, NP and PA but both have to be overseen by MD's even the independent NP's must have an association with an MD.

I have worked with both in the past. Your comments are very condensending.

anyone who has earned a PHD has earned respect.

I wish you well.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Previous | Next

Return to Nurse & Nursing Forum