Physician assistant or Nurse practicioner

Career and education discussion for nurses and nursing students. LPN/LVN, BSN, RN, MSN, Doctor of Nursing.

Moderator: CaribMD

To mother whose daughter is in P.A program.

Postby professionP.A » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:19 pm

Hello, (congratulations to your daughter)
I was wondering if you could give me some insight on how it is to get accepted. The reason i ask is becasue im interested in becoming a P.A, the hands on work and experience must be amazing. I am not currenlty in the medical feild. I have thought about becoming a nurse prior to becoming a P.A. As of now im 29 and getting back in school.
Thanks for a reply!
professionP.A

Re: To mother whose daughter is in P.A program.

Postby CaribMD » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:37 pm

professionP.A wrote:Hello, (congratulations to your daughter)
I was wondering if you could give me some insight on how it is to get accepted. The reason i ask is becasue im interested in becoming a P.A, the hands on work and experience must be amazing. I am not currenlty in the medical feild. I have thought about becoming a nurse prior to becoming a P.A. As of now im 29 and getting back in school.
Thanks for a reply!

It's going to sound crazy but it is very competitive to get into PA school, more so then my medschool from the looks of it.

Do an internet search and you will find the programs they are mostly, BS and MS degrees, so your looking at 4 to 6 years.

Remember Medschool is 4 years plus residency, but you are a MD during residency. Family practice is 3 years so it's like 7 for me. In the Caribbean the only advantqge is I do 1.5 years of medschool in 1 year due to the 3 semester setup.

PA is a good profession. Good Luck
CaribMD
The One
The One

reply to old pro

Postby professionP.A » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:00 am

Hi,
You know Ive been hearing that it is very tuff.
What do they look highly at - Is it mostly your grades or your personal character - experience.
There has to be a way to get in if your determined.
I wouldnt be a traditional student.
Ive been in college since my early 20's & like most am unsure of what to do intil i read through a list of careers and the P.A sounded desirable to me.
When interviewing do they go back as far as high school?
Also, would getting pre-reqs done at a C.C be a downfall?
I enjoy classes about the human body - I just got an A in my human biology class.
What kind of med experience do schools find favorable?
I heard nursing is not the career to start off in if you want to be a P.A - what career would be. Thanks for any info
professionP.A

Postby momtwo » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:08 pm

I'm just a Mom of a PA-S and I don't think nursing was the undergrad major that she'd have been best off taking but there were nurses in her PA class (i think). Most of the kids I know that take nursing want to be NP's. Lots in the PA class were paramedics and others have various other medical careers they came from. Very few come right from undergrads. She worked in clinical research during college and was an EMT.
momtwo
Scutophile
Scutophile

Mother of P.A

Postby professionP.A » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:50 pm

Hi, thank you for the info. Im just looking at that area. Is a paramedic an E.M.T ?

Also, you mentioned your daughter went to duke. Do you know if its almost impossible to get in? Was it hard for her to get accepted??
professionP.A

Previous | Next

Return to Nurse & Nursing Forum