Student Doc Forum

MCAT Forum | USMLE Forum

Career and education discussion for nurses and nursing students. LPN/LVN, BSN, RN, MSN, Doctor of Nursing.

Physician assistant or Nurse practicioner

Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:29 pm

My best friend is just finishing his undergrad. She also has her RN. I promised to ask the people on this forum since you all are very knowledgeable about different health proffesions. I know you guys will say that these are two completely different fields but sometimes they can be closely related. Both can help a physician in an area of specialty and have similar timeframes for education. Just wondering on what your thoughts are.

Re: Physician assistant or Nurse practicioner

Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:59 pm

horvat wrote:My best friend is just finishing his undergrad. She also has her RN.

First thought: Is this person a hermaphrodite?

Second thought: What are you asking, exactly? Which would be better?

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:12 pm

wakie u crack me up, u never know, this person may actaully be an hertmaphrodite secondary to some congenital birth defects.

Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:11 am

If your "friend" is already a RN, then it seems logical to me that he/she would follow up to be a nurse practitioner. The program will build on their nursing knowledge, plus they can practice without supervision of a physician.

Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:29 am

from my understanding PA attend to patients just like physicians but not sure if nurse practitioner does that. although PA will eventually have to consult a physician but still think that makes it a bit different from nurse practitioner.

am not even sure what question am answering but that's just my take.

good luck