Student Doc Forum

MCAT Forum | USMLE Forum

Career and education discussion for nurses and nursing students. LPN/LVN, BSN, RN, MSN, Doctor of Nursing.

A better way to communicate with patients?

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:32 pm

Hello all!

As part of a multi-year project, my team and I are studying the way patients and nurses communicate in the hospital setting. We’ve shadowed nurses in multiple units at Massachusetts General Hospital and have since begun developing a tool to improve and create better communication with patients. While our first-hand interactions with these nurses have been enlightening, we really need your insights and feedback.

If you have 5-10 minutes, please take our survey. It will really help advance our studies!
http://edu.surveygizmo.com/s3/1537606/Nurse-to-Patient-Communication-Survey

The survey is 100% confidential and will only be used for statistical purposes. Thank you!

Re: A better way to communicate with patients?

Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:09 am

These are the questions in case you are interested:

1. When alerted of a patient in need, how often do you know the patient's specific need before entering the room? *This question is required.

2. How would you evaluate the overall effectiveness of current nurse-call/call-bell systems used by patients? *This question is required.

3. What are your current frustrations with current call-bell/nurse-call systems, if any? [Check all that apply] *This question is required.

4. Evaluate the following statement: "I would like a more effective way to communicate with patients." *This question is required.

5. Evaluate the following statement: "Mobile technologies (i.e. Smart-phones/tablets and applications) create better ways to communicate with patients." *This question is required.

6. Evaluate the following statement: "Mobile devices improve communication in the clinical setting." *

I have no personal opinion about the call-buttons. Making into an "app" for a phone, can't really agree with that idea, unless these are dedicated mobile devices for that purpose

Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:34 pm

I am not really sure how would be mobile technologies can create better ways to communicate with patients.

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:02 am

10 essential communication skills to remember by nurses while communication with patients:

1. Speak Slowly
Certain words sound very similar to one another if they are spoken quickly.
Take the time to speak slowly and carefully, and your words may be less likely mistaken by others.
2. Speak Clearly, Not Loudly
When communicating with some people, especially those who are older, the inclination might be to raise your voice dramatically in an effort to make them understand you. Shouting only tends to make it harder to comprehend what you are saying.
Instead of speaking louder, try speaking with more clarity – especially when communicating with older patients.
3. Avoid Using Slang
A common mistake that many health professionals make is to use bigger and more complicated words. Another common mistake is the use of slang terms that are not fitting or appropriate. Avoid both of these mistakes for better communication.
4. Remember Your Audience
What you say to a doctor or a fellow nurse might be very different to what you would say to a patient and their family.
Use the word ‘medicine’ rather than ‘drug’ when talking to patients. Many people associate the word ‘drug’ with illicit substances, whereas health professionals view the word ‘drug’ as any pharmaceutical.
Choose your words to fit the situation and the audience.
5. Stop and Listen
Communication is a two-way street.
One of the most important communication skills is the ability to stop and listen actively and ethically, to what is being said by the other person.
6. Reflect
To make sure that the communication is flowing, learn the simple trick of reflecting on what the person is saying to you.
To do so, you simply repeat what has been said in your own words, back to the person. If you are wrong, the person can say so before you walk away.
7. Use Body Language
Despite the words you use, the majority of human communication is through the body language in your face, hands, posture etc.
Be conscious of what your body is saying and whether it is in agreement with your words. Do not send conflicting messages.
8. Know Your Communication Roadblock
If you have ever stumbled on a word or found yourself frustrated trying to communicate an idea, then you know your roadblocks.
Everyone has a few of them. Knowing yours can help you to find ways around them. For instance, if you know that a person crying will effectively make your communication skills disintegrate then try to actively practice ways to manage these situations better.
9. Consider Learning a Foreign Language
It might sound strange, but learning a new language puts you in better touch with your native tongue and can open your eyes to the way you use the words you already know.
10. Don’t Forget Other Methods of Communication
In addition to speaking and listening, don’t forget that there are other skills that you should work on, such as reading, writing and technology-based communication.

Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:29 am

Sorry for not filling your survey but I can provide you with some tips about what is the most effective way of communicating with your patients. Major thing which plays as a hurdle between patient and a doctor communications is trust. If you can gain their trust while being professional then you have got the real success. Befriending patients is like a two edged sword, as we do not normally tell our issues to the ones we have made some reputation.
Here are some of my tips for gaining trust of patients.

1) Tell them about the worse cases you have seen and take them as it is normal.
2) Make them aware about the consequences of a disease when it gets severe so that you can convey them in not hiding any condition from you.
3) Do not show any surprise to anything a patient shares with you.