Should you retake the MCAT?

MCAT preparation and implications of MCAT scores.

Moderators: cheechootrain, CaribMD, AL_emt

Re: Post-Bacc?

Postby haplo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:01 am

bpokon wrote:Alright, I scored 18 on my 1st MCAT exam 2yrs ago (Slapped that nonsense right out of me). That was with taking the Kaplan course 2ice. GPA is 3.4. I'm retaking the exam. Now I want to create my own study beside it's a great prep for school. Recommendation on review guides (No Kaplan)? I'm reapplying to school as a non-degree grad to keep my mind active, Should I go for the post-bac program to raise that GPA? I'm very concern about it.
Oh I just graduated with Bsc in Biology May '08 :P
Thoughts will be deeply appreciated :D

I highly recommend exam krackers. I was about the 20 range pre-studying, and I merely used the various EK subject books for review, the official AMCAS tests for practice. The books are concise, tell you HOW to solve problems in a time-conducive manner, rather than using a textbook method. Another plus is the series cuts out all of the cheese that a Princeton or Kaplan book would give you for a solution. eg. Kaplan will just have some textbook page cut/pasted as their solution to a problem. EK will give you one short paragraph telling you in a non-academic manner how the problem was solved.

In particular, I believe if you are scoring low on physics/ochem/bio, EK books are great. If it's your Verbal that's low, well, nothing you can do except practice problems, and even then.....raised my scores from 7 to 12 on phys, 10 to 13 on bios.
haplo

Re: Should you retake the MCAT?

Postby otts » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi everyone!
Looking for advice on whether to re-take or not. Here's the deal:
BS- 10
VR- 9
PS- 9
GPA: 3.82
LOTS of extra-curric's, leadership, clinical experience as a CNA and more
I'm not looking to get into any top-tier schools or anything. First choice is Medical College of Wisconsin (average is 30-31 MCAT) Thanks!
otts

Postby CaribMD » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:59 pm

otts wrote:Hi everyone!
Looking for advice on whether to re-take or not. Here's the deal:
BS- 10
VR- 9
PS- 9
GPA: 3.82
LOTS of extra-curric's, leadership, clinical experience as a CNA and more
I'm not looking to get into any top-tier schools or anything. First choice is Medical College of Wisconsin (average is 30-31 MCAT) Thanks!

retake?

I would apply but to at least 20 schools, you should have your pick

no school is a lock even if you had that gpa and 36 mcat
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby bluebay112 » Sat May 16, 2009 2:49 am

used the tool and it's telling me that I shouldn't retake the MCAT ( I would go down by one point). But my verbal is a 6 while b=12,p=10,w=R. What do you think?? Do I have enough time to prepare for the august MCAT and improve the verbal? I've heard if you go down it can look really bad. Is a retake even worth it?What's your advice??
P.S. the rest of my application looks strong
bluebay112

Postby Boilers07 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:52 pm

Ok I was pretty bummed with my MCAT scores, but I am thinking I still may have a chance (hopefully?)

28Q
BS 11
PS 8
V 9

I go to the University of Texas at Austin and have a 3.96 cumulative GPA (including all of my premed classes). I currently am putting in 40 hrs/week for a job at an orthopaedic surgery center near Chicago. I also have pretty solid extra curriculars with hospital volunteering and several community service projects, as well as involvement in the Student Health Advisory Committee at my school, which works closely with the University Health Services.

In my state of residence (Indiana), I automatically get an interview for having scores above like a 26 and a gpa over a 3.5...but do you guys think I have a shot anyway?? I'm fairly confident that if I take the mcat again I won't do better...I think I did the best I could.
Boilers07

Previous | Next

Return to MCAT Forum