MD vs DO salary

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Postby mdille2 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:14 pm

mr_docc wrote:they both make about the same average salary per year, its all about what you specialize in. my dads an MD and half his friends that are DO's make twice as much as him per year so it all depends. its also depends what state you start your practice in, only 6 states as far as i know accpet d.o.

What are you talking about? You can be a DO in all US states. Not in all countires but in ALL US states.

Marcia
mdille2
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby DR. Dre » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:14 pm

DO's and MD's weight about the same in the u.s. they make the same and are respected the same, the only thing that differs is the way they practice medicine. really mdille2? i thought DO's were accepted everywhere, hey u learn sumthin new every day :D
DR. Dre
Scutophile
Scutophile

Ok

Postby Katenaka » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:26 pm

If America the #1 nation in the world is in need of DO's and MD's. And with new osteopathic schools opening. + With all the shortages of doctors worldwide, Would the people in other countries especially the underdeveloped ones care about the title? Trust me, you can ask anybody, and they would want to come to America.
Katenaka

Postby mdille2 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:47 am

DR. Dre wrote:DO's and MD's weight about the same in the u.s. they make the same and are respected the same, the only thing that differs is the way they practice medicine. really mdille2? i thought DO's were accepted everywhere, hey u learn sumthin new every day :D

Yeah I do not understand the reasoning behind it, but it is true, some countries do not accept DO's as physicians.

Marcia
mdille2
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

DO's prefered in Doctors w/o Borders

Postby gouldog » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:45 pm

I'm not sure of a DO's acceptance in other countries, but "Doctors without Borders" prefers DO since they can function with less medicine and tools when neccessary.

I ran across a website a few minutes ago, perhaps Princeton Review, that said in Europe there is a higher precentage of DO's than in the US.

My friend in Germany says DO are lower ranked there.

I think I'd prefer to be a DO, but still trying to make that tough decision. I have the scores to do either.
gouldog

Previous | Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)