MD vs DO salary

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

do

Postby joker200 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:17 pm

yea, their is a highter percentage of D.O's in some European countries, because of the work load, medical students tend to learn a bit more and are taught on a more scientific traditional method than the D.O. That is precisely why the best doctors in the world are here, in AMerica....?? M.D. not D.O. they are similary but the MD for the most part is a bit more knowledgable than the D.O. though this can vary.. better to go the M.D. route, i have never met or heard of a great D.O. surgeon, and i know many surgeons all are M.D.'s
joker200
Sub-I
Sub-I

Postby wsimons115 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:39 pm

I'm a D.O. student, and can add a few pieces of info. D.O.'s are absolutely licensed & practice in all 50 states. The reason they aren't as highly esteemed in other countries is because they are not the same type of physician in other countries. A D.O. in europe is basically a chiropractor & not able to do surgury or prescribe medicine. That's not the case here at all. Also, there are tons of excellent D.O. surgeons. If you haven't encountered any, you have very little medical experience in U.S. hopitals. Walk into almost any E.R. in the country, & there's an excellent chance of finding a D.O. practicing. In our country's health care system, you must pass rigorous standards (i.e. a 3 part board exam series for M.D.'s or D.O.'s) to be licensed to practice medicine. It is completely false that allopathic training (M.D.) is more "scientific" that osteopathic. We take exactly the same classes, with same standards as allopaths PLUS have hundreds of hours in musculoskeletal treatment training. D.O. training is EXTRA, not less than allopathic training. In the interest of fairness, I will admit that D.O. schools accept students with slightly lower MCAT scores and GPA's. This is because they are more interested in recruiting students whom have demonstrated service to their community & are compassionate human beings, not only academically gifted. This is the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. This real reason D.O.'s get a bad rap is because we only comprise about 5% of the doc's out there, and we physicians (collectively) have a tendency to profess superiority. Do realize, if you're considering osteopathy, that we're in the minority, and M.D.'s run the healthcare system. We need to get along with them more than they need to get along with us!
wsimons115

Re: do

Postby mdille2 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:42 am

joker200 wrote:medical students tend to learn a bit more and are taught on a more scientific traditional method than the D.O.

M.D. not D.O. they are similary but the MD for the most part is a bit more knowledgable than the D.O. though this can vary..

i have never met or heard of a great D.O. surgeon, and i know many surgeons all are M.D.'s

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

See now here i was thinking that when students are in schools of osteopathy, they were called medical students also...Hmmmm????

More knowledgeble in what? Manipulation?? Don't think so, medicine? Hardly? Not here in the US, maybe in other countries Joker, but not here.

How many surgeons do you know? Because I know about 6 surgeons personally and 2 of them are DOs, so that is a 1/3. That does not mean that 1/3 of all surgeons are DOs, but just because you know none, does not mean that there are no DO surgeons either.

Marcia

PS It still amazes me that people think this way still.
mdille2
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

LOL!

Postby Doc » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:31 pm

There is NO difference in DO vs MD salaries! NONE!
Doc

DO & MD

Postby dr917 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:05 pm

If you're confused, you can just think of a DO as a MD plus physical therapy. Many people try to make more or less of it, but it really doesn't matter.

I'm a DO in a MD residency and we all function the same and all had similar board scores and all that.

As far as salary -- the wealthiest doc I know is a DO family doc because he's an awesome businessman. The 2nd wealthiest is a DO dermatologist, and the 3rd a MD plastic surgeon -- but it really doesn't matter.

The bottom line -- if you're interested in $$$, be your own boss!
dr917

Previous | Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)