Still unsure about applying to DO (nothing to do with GPA)

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Still unsure about applying to DO (nothing to do with GPA)

Postby Zethra » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:53 pm

So I've been going back and forth on applying to any DO schools. I'm taking the MCAT in the summer (August I'm thinking) and applying to schools all over the south. LSUHSC-S is my top choice since I've worked there for quite some time, live about 5 min from the campus, and know many students, RN's, PA's, PT's, and MD's there. Being a perfectionist, I always seem to think my grades aren't good enough (unless I make a 100 on something I'm not satisfied unless it's Ochem) so I'm looking at DO schools as well. The thing that bothers me is how DO's are viewed in the medical world. I hear they aren't as competitive for residencies (the two that I have in mind right now are Pathology and Aerospace Medicine) and that MD's think they are the guys who weren't "good enough" for medical school. Can comeone help me feel better about applying to DO?
Zethra
Scutophile
Scutophile

Re: Still unsure about applying to DO (nothing to do with GPA)

Postby CaribMD » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:44 am

Zethra wrote:The thing that bothers me is how DO's are viewed in the medical world. I hear they aren't as competitive for residencies (the two that I have in mind right now are Pathology and Aerospace Medicine) and that MD's think they are the guys who weren't "good enough" for medical school. Can comeone help me feel better about applying to DO?

I did 15 weeks with an Orthopedists who is an MD from Johns Hopkins, his take on it was this MD vs DO thing is rubbish, we are all physicians and thats that, A world famous Peds/Endocrinologist I did 12 weeks with is an MD but his son, who works at the same clinic is a DO.

MD= DO and we all are physicians.

I would not worry what others think your work matters more then your initials.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby Zethra » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:09 am

I forgot to mention one other thing that had me worried. I looked at some cirriculums (UNT in Fort Worth, TX and NYCOM in NY) and I keep seeing something about chosing between lecture based and problem based learning. What's the difference?

Also the curriculums are so much different from allopathic schools. How well do DO curriculums prep students electing to take the USMLE for residencies?
Zethra
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby CaribMD » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:25 am

Zethra wrote:I forgot to mention one other thing that had me worried. I looked at some cirriculums (UNT in Fort Worth, TX and NYCOM in NY) and I keep seeing something about chosing between lecture based and problem based learning. What's the difference?

Also the curriculums are so much different from allopathic schools. How well do DO curriculums prep students electing to take the USMLE for residencies?
I think problem based learning is way better, do you find loads of information told to you for 2 to 3 hours fun or do you find it more interesting when given with clinical examples and yo have to think on it while learning?

thats the difference.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby OlufunshoBY » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:42 pm

also with PBL, u have to take the initiative to look up information on ur won without being prompted. Basically, take responsibility for ur own learning.
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)