This year SOAP and Match proved 2015

Resources and answers for IMGs applying to the ECFMG for US medical and surgical residencies.

Moderator: CaribMD

This year SOAP and Match proved 2015

Postby CaribMD » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:28 am

This past year the Match and SOAP proved that the ERAS screeners keeps those of us who took the USMLE more than once out. Many residencies are basing their interview slots on criteria they can set with ERAS software to screen out "Put in their spam folder" Applications that do not meet the criteria.

So what does this mean to those of us who took the tests repeated more than once? You will have to get contacts because your application will be screened during the match and kept from the review committees.

Since I did get a few rejection letters I feel that possibly those programs did not use the screeners, but I cannot tell you 100%, a freind of mine told me a program who "Looks at every application" (or so they say) still screened out the application and when they called they did get an interview.

Make contacts!
That's Dr. Carib now! Graduated Aureus U of Med 2011
Intern Fajardo Hospital 2017
CaribMD
The One
The One

Re: This year SOAP and Match proved 2015

Postby ReturnToMed » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:20 pm

I think this is a very interesting point. I agree that personal contacts are important.

Any other suggestions to help those applying after repeating a step? What do people think about:

- Get a job as a clinical research coordinator at a hospital with an internal medicine or family medicine residency program? Demonstrates your abilities and gets you good 1:1 contacts with physicians at a residency program.

- Do additional clinical rotations? Is that even possible?
ReturnToMed
Gunner
Gunner

Postby CaribMD » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:19 pm

ReturnToMed wrote:I think this is a very interesting point. I agree that personal contacts are important.

Any other suggestions to help those applying after repeating a step? What do people think about:

- Get a job as a clinical research coordinator at a hospital with an internal medicine or family medicine residency program? Demonstrates your abilities and gets you good 1:1 contacts with physicians at a residency program.

- Do additional clinical rotations? Is that even possible?

I think medical assistant plus more clinical observership at a residency
That's Dr. Carib now! Graduated Aureus U of Med 2011
Intern Fajardo Hospital 2017
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby chrisb3 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:53 pm

what are your thoughts about the Missouri assistant physician program?
chrisb3

Postby sova196 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:12 am

I hope you will succeed! Good luck to you!)
publix portal
sova196

Next

Return to IMG Medical Residency & USMLE