What to do when your over all GPA is lower then 3.0

For applicants who have been out of school for a few years, or are planning to have a family in medical school, or have other non-traditional qualities.

Moderators: CaribMD, AL_emt

Anyone can Get in

Postby Lina » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:28 pm

I think that a person with a low or high GPA makes no difference when it comes down to why a person wants to be a doctor or go to medical school. There are too many stupid doctors out there right now, so a change should be made! All these doctors as you claim should have had a high GPA, but are missing some very important aspects that save lifes not kill them. A GPA is not everything! And the MCAT is weighted more then the GPA occording to EVERY SCHOOL, and how do I know I CALLED and ASKED THEM! and the AMCAS is a simple application, EACH MED. SCHOOL has their own that they send after you have completed the AMCAS. Example: Medical College of George, Average GPA of 3.6 and an MCAT score of 26, so the EXCEPTION was people who scored above 26 in MCAT had a better advantage to getting in with a say a 3.2 GPA. Medical schools look at the overall applications because if they didn't then idiots would be getting in. A GPA isn't everything and I will say that over and over again.

THEY DO NOT COMBINE ALL THE GRADES MAKING IT YOUR ONLY GPA!

THERE IS THE OVERALL GPA AND THE SCIENCE GPA!

IF YOU HAVE NOT SO GREAT GPA, THEN YOU SHOULD TAKE MORE SCIENCES AND PULL UP YOUR SCIENCE GPA, WHICH IS EASIER TO DO THEN TO TRY AND PULL UP YOUR OVERALL GPA. If you had 8 science courses and an average gpa of 3.3 and then added 8 more science courses, your science gpa would improve a lot and give you a better shot, however it probably won't really improve your overall GPA!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
Lina

Postby CaribMD » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:47 pm

I addressed some of what you said in the premed forum.

As far part of what you said here, I agree,

Sci and overall are 2 different GPA's

Having a GPA below 3.0 does matter since that is the published cut of requirement of just about 99% of the US MD schools

DO are different and do different things.

Medical College of George, Average GPA of 3.6 and an MCAT score of 26, so the EXCEPTION was people who scored above 26 in MCAT had a better advantage to getting in with a say a 3.2 GPA.

Where do you get these stats from? I thought MCG was 30 average MCAT?

Also if the average accepted student was 3.6 then 3.2 is below the lower end of 3.4 the range would be 3.4 to 3.8 for an average of 3.6.

So I have trouble with some of what you say, but understand the frustration.
CaribMD
The One
The One

more than GPA

Postby Lina » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:14 pm

What I am trying to say on here is that no matter what there is hope, there is fate, and people shouldn't just give up. I have good stats so I'm not very worried, but just want people to stay positive. I know that you maybe trying to be honest and let others know that it's a harsh world out there, but you can't ever give up, not even if your GPA is a 3.0 or which ever. As for my stats they come from people who are already in the medical field and college counselors and the medical schools themselves. Every school is different and has different expectations. You have to be smart but also be willing to work hard. All of these students who are on here, all they need is a little support, and not have their hopes and dreams destroyed by someone telling them they have no chance, when there is hope there is always chance. Also, if you read the books on Medical schools they are very helpful, and they too tell you though a GPA is considered and it isn't the final descison on the acceptance. Think about it you have a very smart person with a high GPA, but nothing more. What about sincerity, maturity, empathy, compassion and motivation. Say that smart person's motivation is money or just something they like, but are not good with people, then I don't think that they would be a good doctor. If you read about doctors today they are not very good, though smart, can't listen. Go to a doctor and see how long into your explination of what is wrong with you they interupt you? They do that a lot, they just want to give you meds and get you on your way. What about patience? someone who doesn't have it would never make a good doctor. I'm just saying that people who have these qualities and are willing to do the hard work, have the chance to pull their GPA's up, go to grad school for a couple of semesters, and if you still don't get accepeted try and try again, the goal is to never give up or let others get you down. So please be nice to others and spread hope because it does exist. It's kindness and compassion that many are in need of.
Lina

Postby CaribMD » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:24 pm

What I am trying to say on here is that no matter what there is hope, there is fate, and people shouldn't just give up.

Yes I agree never give up and never give in, if you truly want to be a Doc then you should go for it, BUT

Big BUT

There are limitations

Poor GPA and other problems then a US school may not be possible without years of grade rehab.

Thats what we try to do here look at the problems and try to help with ways to overcome

Known ways to overcome

If it has been over 5 years since poor GPA a regular Masters or current course work may do it

If currently below a 3.0 then a Post Bac with a good GPA is a good way

If you do not want to do the above there are schools in the Caribbean
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby Cash McCallister » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:48 am

I can't even go on vacation without coming back to this kind of nonsense!

Yes we all realize that there are rare exceptions to general acceptable stats and miracles happen--but not often. Admissions success stories about sunshine and gumdrops and 3.0 GPAs are VERY few and far between. If you insist on leading unsuspecting premeds to believe they will get in with these stats, please at least add a disclaimer that they will likely (99%) need to complete a post-bac before they become competetive. At least then they will know about the extra work that they will have to put in.

So please be nice to others and spread hope because it does exist. It's kindness and compassion that many are in need of.

Many are also in need of a reality backhand. They will thank you when they don't waste thousands of dollars applying and don't get in.

As an aside, I get what you're trying to say. It is more about GPA on an application. But by that same token, it's also more about what kind of person you are. You need to be a complete package, so GPA definately matters. I now apologize for my former "Ban Him" picture, but it's been nearly two weeks since I've deleted a post and my moderator skills are itching to be used for something. Carry on.
Cash McCallister
Spaminator
Spaminator

Previous | Next

Return to Non-Traditional Premeds