Nursing Assistant Job worth it?

For applicants who have been out of school for a few years, or are planning to have a family in medical school, or have other non-traditional qualities.

Moderators: CaribMD, AL_emt

Postby Lech » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:15 am

I'm a lawyer looking for a career change. I'm already going to start taking some prereqs next week, which I missed as an undergrad.

I am also thinking about taking a 3-week CNA course and working as a nursing assistant during the 2 years I estimate it will take me to finish school, take the MCAT, etc. The admissions counselor I spoke to said one of the factors they look at is your health care experience. I think the fact I gave up a law firm job to work as a CNA should be pretty favorable.

Thoughts?
Lech

Re: Nursing Assistant Job worth it?

Postby cheechootrain » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:51 pm

I dont know, its a hit and miss with some people. I say, any medical experience is good experience. But some might think it can hurt your chances. Nursing and medical schools are two different paths. They have different approaches to medicine. One cares for the patient while the other diagnoses the patient.

If you want to gain some health care experience, try volunteering or something that deals with patients. If you want to get the CNA to grab some cash, then go for it.
cheechootrain
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby grannysmith » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:50 pm

Sorry to hijack the post, but is this true? I thought being a Nursing Assistant would count as clinical hours. What certification or minor job would be better for clinical hours? I honestly would like to fulfill clinical hours and at the same time make money doing it. lol
cheechootrain wrote:I dont know, its a hit and miss with some people. I say, any medical experience is good experience. But some might think it can hurt your chances. Nursing and medical schools are two different paths. They have different approaches to medicine. One cares for the patient while the other diagnoses the patient.

If you want to gain some health care experience, try volunteering or something that deals with patients. If you want to get the CNA to grab some cash, then go for it.
grannysmith

Postby Lech » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:00 pm

Well my problem is that I simply MUST make money while fulfilling clinical hours because I won't be able to survive/afford school anyway.

I don't understand what volunteer job would be diagnosing patients, unless I'm just shadowing docs/PAs or something. What volunteer positions are there that are closer to the medical track?
Lech

Postby Handhoney » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:14 am

The quickest path to clinical hours is probably a fasttrack LPN vocational license. If you can handle BSN prereq's at the same time, you will be in good shape. I'm an LPN, and my last semester of an RN program. In my experience, it's taken almost as long to get an RN-AS as it would to get a BSN.

I worked as a nurse tech (CNA with permission to do some "real" nursing things) for a bit and decided that the CNA/tech path is not for everyone. The reality is that you tend to just do what the nurses won't do. If you have any concern for the patients (of course which you should if you're considering this, you should), you may end up hating the job field. You will end up wiping a LOT of ass. A whole lot. You will become one with the dookie. Your clinical hours will mean spit to most. It will help you get a job if you're close to your degree, but unless you're starving, I don't recommend it.

My opinion:

Quickest route to usable clinical hours: LPN vocational

Best route IMO: LPN to BSN
Handhoney

Next

Return to Non-Traditional Premeds