I'm in nursing school and already want to switch...

For applicants who have been out of school for a few years, or are planning to have a family in medical school, or have other non-traditional qualities.

Moderators: CaribMD, AL_emt

Re: I'm in nursing school and already want to switch...

Postby CaribMD » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:58 pm

Just trying to get you to see the tone, I know what you mean and you, like others, are very intelligent, but intelligence is not enough it takes a lot of work and focus too.

You can go to medical school, if you are young, I would finish nursing school with high marks and work get the practical experience and growth then go for medical school. I think it would serve you better in the end.

No matter what you decide I look forward to seeing what you do.

Bill.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby cheechootrain » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:20 pm

AL_emt wrote:I would at least attempt your hard sciences before jumping ship; orgo and physics can humble a person real fast. I don't know how hard your nursing chem is, but at my school it is apples and oranges compared with pre-med sciences. I would caution you to not burn any bridges.

Yeah..physics…hardest ever. :lol:
cheechootrain
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby AL_emt » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:50 pm

:lol: Different strokes I suppose... I though physics was insanely difficult (although it was certainly interesting). Literally half of the people in my physics II course repeated due to a D, F, or W grade. That class was no joke :shock:
AL_emt
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby Collins030505 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:52 pm

Yes physics is something I've always dreaded! I guess I shouldn't think too hard about Med School until I see if I can pass that! In the meantime, I better get back to studying Pharmacology..... thanks for the input everyone! I'm a little late starting all of this, I'll be 26 when I get my BSN, if I work a year or two while getting the other sciences, maybe I can apply for Med School when I'm 28? We'll see. Anyway thanks for the advice and opinions!
Collins030505

Postby AL_emt » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:05 pm

Based on what you've told me so far (and this is completely arbitrary and mostly based on my personality), I would stay in the BSN, finish it strong and get some clinical experience (invaluable) while finishing the rest of your prereqs. When you apply you'll have a strong academic and clinical background, two things a lot of premeds seem to lack from my experience (most of them have strong academics but understandably lack clinical experience).

Collins030505 wrote:...maybe I can apply for Med School when I'm 28?

I honestly consider 28 to be young, so I wouldn't worry about the age thing. An extra year or two post-BSN will seem like a drop in the bucket compared with med school, internship, residency, fellowship, etc. As far as the sciences go, everybody is a little different; what one finds challenging might be easy for you, and vice versa. Remember that sustained superior performance is the key to success, in medical school admissions and anything else in life. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. Good luck!
AL_emt
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Previous | Next

Return to Non-Traditional Premeds