I'm in nursing school and already want to switch...

For applicants who have been out of school for a few years, or are planning to have a family in medical school, or have other non-traditional qualities.

Moderators: CaribMD, AL_emt

I'm in nursing school and already want to switch...

Postby Collins030505 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:35 am

Okay so I am in school for bachelors in nursing. I have a 4.0 GPA for the first two years of school, 180 hours volunteering in the ER, and scored in the 99.2 percentile Nationally for my nursing entrance exam (not that it has anything to do with Pre-Med). I have always wanted to go into Medicine but thought I was too stupid to do so. I have now realized that I am actually pretty smart. So I decided a couple weeks ago when my instructor snapped at me "I don't want to physiology of it! If you want to get into the patho-physiology of this, then maybe you should have applied for Med school!" that I actually might just do that. I have two years left of nursing school and I really don't want to drop out. This school was too competitive to get into to drop out, and since I want to go to this school's Medical School, I don't want to drop out from one program to go to another. This means I need to take Biology for Science Majors, GenChem, OChem, and Physics before I can apply for Med School. I could take these in the summers and apply for Med school before I even graduate Nursing School. (I would still have one more semester of Science before I could be in Med School, but I could have at least already applied I think) I was thinking the BSN could just be my Major and then I could apply directly to Med School. However, now I've been on here and read that doesn't look good, to switch from Nursing to Medicine right away. Why? How do they know I didn't want to do medicine from the beginning and wanted nursing to be my Major? Do I seriously have to work for awhile before I can apply for Med School? I feel that I'd do well in Med School. Any thoughts?
Collins030505

Re: I'm in nursing school and already want to switch...

Postby CaribMD » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:22 am

One thought, you may be intelligent but what makes you think your "Too smart to be a Nurse?" You may not mean that but it comes off as that way.

I see two paths

1. Finish nursing school, work for a year as a nurse taking the MCAT at that time, never telling anyone you want to go to medical school along the way ( this will sabotage you trust me), yes take the added courses when you can now as well. Advantage? Experience, growth and knowledge. All you will need is volunteer hours at anything.

2. Drop out of nursing school now and pursue medicine, you either go all the way or not all in this.
Reason? There is a lot of people who are as desperate to be Nurses as Doctors, its not a second choice career.

I'm an RN of 21 years I went to medical school after 16 years as an RN with a few years before that working in the Field. I wanted to do something else after a long time and commitment.

If you drop now its ok
If you drop right after ( without at least a year of work) its jumping ship and not being committed.

Also you need to understand the chances of you getting accepted at that medical school there are about or less then 30% you will need to apply to at least 10 others.

So I decided a couple weeks ago when my instructor snapped at me "I don't want to physiology of it! If you want to get into the patho-physiology of this, then maybe you should have applied for Med school!" that I actually might just do that.

I have no idea what context this was said in, I studied Pathophysiology in Nursing school back in the 80's and it was important, as far as I know it still is, how would you teach disease process as an RN if it wasn't and you had no clue?

Just my observations on this.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby cheechootrain » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:55 am

If you feel confident, then go for it. The only drawback is once you switch, it'll be difficult to go back to the nursing school, depending on its competitiveness.
cheechootrain
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby AL_emt » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:08 pm

I would at least attempt your hard sciences before jumping ship; orgo and physics can humble a person real fast. I don't know how hard your nursing chem is, but at my school it is apples and oranges compared with pre-med sciences. I would caution you to not burn any bridges.
AL_emt
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby Collins030505 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:05 pm

CaribMD -- I can totally see that it looks like I mean I think I am too smart for nursing school. What I sort of was talking about was I never thought that I could memorize all the muscles, bones, drugs, everything that Med Students have to memorize, so I never thought I'd make it. I also never thought I'd get through the Pre-Reqs either. But I did have to take one semester of Gen Chem and one semester of OChem, Microbiology, Statistics, and Calculus as part of my Pre-Reqs for nursing school and not only did I get high A's in them, but I loved the material and could see myself doing more. I'm not meaning for it to sound like I think I'm too smart for nursing school, because I know it's hard. One reason I choose nursing too was because I have two toddlers and I thought it would be too hard to attempt Med School. But some Med students that are moms said that I could totally do it.

I guess I'm wondering why switching from Nursing to MD is looked down upon so much. How do people know that I didn't just want to get my BSN and go to Med School next? I never signed anything saying I would be a nurse forever. I don't know, I can see your point but it irritates me too. I feel that my qualities that would make me a great nurse and then the education I get during nursing school would make me an excellent MD too. I guess I should just focus on this for now. I love nursing school, it's amazing, and maybe during the next few semesters I'll get into the deeper aspects of it. The comment that my instructor made was about blood glucose. She asked why it would be low and I explained the details, but she snapped then explained that I could have simply said that they person may have not eaten yet that day. Sorry but I want to get into more than "oh they maybe didn't eat" or "oh they maybe have untreated diabetes" when I think about high/low blood glucose. She just frustrated me. My answer was not wrong, it just wasn't the nursing thought process apparently.

Well thanks for your advice. I'm a little ways away from needing to think about the nitty gritty of it and maybe I'll decide to stick with nursing. My husband has been in the USAF 17 years, so I can't apply to Med Schools anywhere other than here for now. Maybe I'll have to make him get out (after he hits retirement status) so he can follow me to Med School anywhere in the US! :) I guess I could always continue to get my DNP which would get into more what I'm looking for too.
Collins030505

Next

Return to Non-Traditional Premeds